1970 VW Bug Wants to Live Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Default 1970 VW Bug Wants to Live Again

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting so bear with me. My wife and I currently own a 1970's VW Bug. We have had the car for about 20 years and until 8 years ago, it was a dependable and fun car to drive. Engine broke down about 8 years ago and at the time we didnt have the money to fix it so it stayed covered gathering dust for about 4 years. I went about fixing it, replaced everything but the engine block and got the car running again. Put on some new tires, new speakers, cd player, new seats, and a battery. Took the car in for a full tune up. The 5 days she was running was pure bliss, her belt snapped going uphill on a freeway and she caught fire in the engine area. Some kind soul stopped and gave me 2 gallons of water which was enough to put out the fire on the engine (oil was leaking which was burning). She was broke again.

Now it's four years later and I want to get her running again, and was told I have little or no compression in each of the four cylinders, so I need a new engine. Want to get a rebuilt, but not sure where to go or whom to talk to. Better if someone on this site had a rebuilt for sale. Taking the engine out is pretty simple, so I just need something to stick in there.

The car had an engine replacement 18 years ago with a 1600cc motor. Want to get the same. Looked at a few sites on the web and the general pricing I'm seeing is 1400$......is there a place that sells them cheaper than this (and this is only the engine long block, nothing attached to it).

Sorry for the long story, but hoping someone can direct me where to look.

Take care,

Michael White
VWLivesAgain (I hope)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Default RE: 1970 VW Bug Wants to Live Again

It would be much cheaper to do it yourself, assuming you have the right tools available. You will need to find an old VW shop that is able to align bore the block. Basically this means that when you take the engine apart they will remachine all tolerance surfaces. You will then need to have the block spec'd out which will tell you the exact sizes of all the bearings you need. It will also help the motor run better and longer if you have the engine blueprinted and balanced (balance the crank and connecting rods). Get new pistons and rings and reassemble, replacing anything broken or worn.

This method will not only allow you to save a lot of money, but it gives you an amazing opportunity to REALLY learn about the car, how it works, and how to keep it alive. While you have it apart, you might look at new oil coolers that provide enhanced air flow to the #3 cylinder as this will extend the life of the motor and help keep your maintenance costs down.

If you don't, or don't plan on, driving the car when it's cooler and need the heat, replace the heater boxes with "J" pipes and cut the heater channels out of the car. The heating system has always been a major player in self destructing rust since the heating and cooling of those components creates moisture, and untreated moisture creates...rust!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Default RE: 1970 VW Bug Wants to Live Again

GEX motors arnt too badbut the freight might not be worth it