1303 start gets dead after runing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Default 1303 start gets dead after runing

My 1303 initially get quick start but after 20 to 30 minutes running, I cannot start the engine using starter motor. I checked the battery and it’s ok. Starter motor gets very slow after nun the engine several minutes. Please give me a reliable answer
Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1303 start gets dead after runing

Not sure I understand you fully?? Sounds like alternator, but I don't think I completely know what you're saying. I've heard of starters overheating and not wanting to run, but is it something else?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Default RE: 1303 start gets dead after runing

Ok so I'm going to try to explain this how I'm reading it to make sure I'm right in what I'm thinking.

You go out and start your super beetle. After she warms up, let's say on a trip to the store or whatnot, you turn the engine off. When you go to start it again the starter is sluggish and doesn't turn the engine over fast enough to start it.

You've tested the battery and you have a full 12 volts on it every time this has happened. Do I have the situation right?

What I would do in this case is start with a good cleaning of the starter. Maybe get it rebuilt by a professional electrical shop dealing with starters and alternators. If that doesn't fix the problem then you have an electrical gremlin somewhere that you'll need to hunt down. As per the Haynes manual for this vehicle here is a listing:

Starter turns engine slowly (or not at all):
A Flat battery REPAIR: Recharge battery
B Loose or dirty connections REPAIR: Clean and tighten
C Brushes sticking or worn REPAIR: Service brush gear
D Commutator defective REPAIR: Service commutator
E Starter windings damaged REPAIR: Replace starter

I hope this helps you find your problem and fix it. Good luck.