Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it here.

New suspension update

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default New suspension update

I know I asked this before, but I really don't want to get the wrong stuff. Alright, I'm looking for a clear cut, definition of some issues I'm having deciding about the suspension package.

1)Coilovers vs lowering springs=what exactly is the difference? They both give me the same effect....are ALL coilovers adjustable?? I'm looking at H&R right now, but Bilstein are good too.

2)Ride height= perfect ride height for the Jetta....can't find it anywhere! If I get just lowering springs then I have to find ones that are rated at 1in, 1 1/2in, and so on. With the coilovers I can adjust my ride height, right?

3)I know enough about suspensions for what the car is meant for. I like H&R springs, but Eibach is good, and there are some other brands that are good, too. What I'm after is if I set my car up for Autocross, which I don't do that often anymore now that I'm married, I still need a great handling, smooth ride regardless if I Autocross or not. I don't drag race anymore cause I traded my stang for the Jetta and really don't want to race my daily driver.

4) I need someone to give it to me staight....what exactly are the types and sole purpose ie. coilovers vs springs. I plan on getting a25mm and 28mm,think that's the specs, for front and back. If I get just the springs, do I use my same strut, shocks, stock setup? I need some advice cause when i get back from the trip I'm heading out on, I'll be making serious money and need to do this before it burns a hole in my pocket..lol. Thanx!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Default RE: New suspension update

i know swedish would knw more on this than i do ask him monday when he gets back
but lowerd springs seem to give you a crappy ride from what i have seen
i even had a guy bring me a newer bmw 325 that he had me insall a bilstein kit on and it made the ride total ****

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

There's so many combos I could do. I know people who just have the H&R lowering springs and it's fine as long as you get a sway bar. I don't know too many people that have installed full coilover kits or cup kits or whatever. I don't want to buy the wrong parts!!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

If I buy just the H&R lowering springs don't I need to buy aftermarket shocks too? I' really want a smooth ride, better handling, and sleeker look.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

so after I finish the research with you guys, lowering sport springs or coilovers, I have to figure out the brand.

Which suspension brand is better???

1) Bilstein
2) Neuspeed
3) H&R

Seems Neuspeed is the cheapest. I'll have to search around my plethra of websites to see which site I order them from. ECSTuning.com also has FK series coilovers for $550, but I dunno anything about FK, def don't want to buy crap.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

I think I may buy them from ECStuning.com and get the FK Coilovers which are $550