VW Dasher Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Default VW Dasher Help

I have a VW Dasher, that will not start unless I pop the clutch. We have replaced the starter and still does not start correctly. I really need some help because I am about 1000 miles from home on vacation and do not want to take the chance fo driving back home and getting stranded.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Last edited by Keithuk; 11-27-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Jsd
Default RE: VW Dasher Help

Have you replaced the battery? Checked the plugs? Distributor?

Not familiar with Dasher's, hope other members will jump on this since you're so far away from home and could end up stranded somewhere! I also took the liberty of pinning this thread to the top as it's urgent and others will see it first thing.

-Jeff

Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 PM

is the batery ok all connections good batery termanals clean check ground wire to transmission and all fueses if it runs ok when you roll start it it should get you home was there any problems leading up to this one

Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Hello
I have a 1981 dasher diesel (77,000) and i was wondering if its wise to take it to VW to get routine serviced?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Hey, the starter is not turning the engine over??? It's possible the wire to the starter/solenoid is not giving it power. The large wire comes from the battery (usually red) and there will be another wire that is smaller (about 1/8th inch) that goes to the solenoid the big wire should always have power and the small one should have power when you turn the key to the start position if this is the case, the starter is probably bad.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: mschnoor

I have a VW Dasher, that will not start unless I pop the clutch. We have replaced the starter and still does not start correctly. I really need some help because I am about 1000 miles from home on vacation and do not want to take the chance fo driving back home and getting stranded.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
I had '79 Dasher -- nice car.

It had a similar problem. It would start great when it was cold, but not after being just turned off. I think it was the cold start valve or some kind of fuel primer. Honestly, I'm not sure what the exact problem was and I never got it fixed.

I was able to get it started by cranking the starter for a full minute until fuel reached the engine. Not the ideal remedy, but it worked.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 AM

Try checking the battery or the big ground under the battery.Most commonly the problem was there as of what i've experienced before.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mschnoor
I have a VW Dasher, that will not start unless I pop the clutch. We have replaced the starter and still does not start correctly.

Well I'm not familiar with the VW Dasher but what you are describing
that will not start unless I pop the clutch.

Pop the clutch I presume you mean depressing the clutch, all as this does is relieve gearbox drag. But after depressing the clutch does the engine then start?

There are only 3 reasons an engine won't start/run.

1) Insufficient fuel to be ignited.

2) Insufficient spark to ignite the fuel/air mixture.

3) Mechanical damage/breakage, e.g. broken timing belt.

Have you managed to check the options already given?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 AM

Things needed for the engine to start

1. The engine must be turned over by the starter motor with enough speed to catch. For this to happen, the battery must have enough charge, the starter motor and the starter circuit should be OK.
2. Fuel mixed with air in the correct proportion must be supplied to the engine cylinders;
3. Spark - there must be a strong spark at the proper moment to fire the air/fuel mixture.
4. Proper timing - the engine valves should open and close in appropriate time.
5. Compression - normal compression in the cylinders is 120 - 170 psi. The engine won't start if the compression is lower than 70 - 80 psi.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 AM

I had a similar problem with my 87' Cabriolet recently. It would not start with out me giving gas while it turned over. I fixed the problem easily by turning up the idol about half a notch.

Quick Reply: VW Dasher Help