Eurovan: "Reports of my death are greatly exagerated."

Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Default Eurovan: "Reports of my death are greatly exagerated."

Mark Twain's famous telegram to a foregin newspaper.

Hello all, I am new to this Forum and to the world of Fahrfenuggen in general. A girlfriend came to stay at my farm having driven from Alaska in a 1985 Vanagon. I adopted the Vanagon and loaned her my Ford Expedition. I feel I came out ahead on this deal. She can not get me out of the Vanagon. It was love at first drive.Anyway, I got to thinking about the Eurovan and the possibilities that represents. There are not many of them in this part of north central New Mexico so I have no opportunity to talk VW.Recently, I learned why there are not more of them on the road; some Big Brain in Marketing decided not to build them anymore. This came as a shock. Imagine my horror- no more VW buses/vans/transporters! What a discovery!

Does anyone know what passed for reason in the minds of VW to cancel this product line? Any insights will be appreciated.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: Eurovan: "Reports of my death are greatly exagerated."

,Sorry I asked. It appears no one on this forum has anything to post about this subject. It just seems hard to understand why VW would stop building the one machine in which they had an unchallenged advantage.

I am thinking about replacingone of our American V-8 trucks withan old air cooled VW "pickup". I noticed one for sale two towns away. Anyone have experience with them at high altitude? I live at 7,800 feet and about the highest I would have to take this truck is about 9,000 plus a little. Carbed vehicles in general labor a bit so I am guessing an old VW air cooled would too. Other than rejetting I guess there is not much else one can do. How about engine cooling? Does the thinner air and warm conditions during summer (mid 80s to therare low 90s) require any additional cooling like and exposed oil cooler or ducts? I had heard back in the 1960s that the ducts added to the cooling louvers were counter productive as VW intended that cooling was to be assisted by laminar air flow over the louvers "sucking" heat out of the engine boxrather than outside air being directed over the engine. Is this about right?I also used to seeold buseswith oil coolers mounted on the side of the body aeound the louvers. Is that a good solution for extra cooling?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Default RE: Eurovan: "Reports of my death are greatly exagerated."

I guess no one here is interested in VW vans. I feel like the Yankee who left a turd in the punch bowl at an "Ole' Miss" Cotilion.

You won't be hearing from me anymore.