Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

How to buy a 25+ year old VW in Mexico and register it in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Default How to buy a 25+ year old VW in Mexico and register it in the USA?

Hello, I am from the USA currently in Mexico City. I need to travel back to the USA with my dog and bicycle. It seems it would be better to just buy a old car to drive back, than to pay the high cost for a flight to the USA with my dog and bicycle.

I learned about the 25 year old car rule. That says, If a vehicle is at least 25 years old, the car does not need to meet EPA compliance or DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

I would like to register the VW in California, but I read that different states have different rules about the 25 year rule. Is maybe Arizona, New Mexico or Texas easier?

I hope I understand this law correctly.
Thanks so much for any knowledge or advice.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:16 PM

I did some more research. First I called CA Department of Motor Vehicles Imported Auto Unit. They say the car needs to pass a smog test and have a emissions sticker or a letter from the manufacturer. Sounds unlikely it could happen. Next I called the Texas DMV. So much easier than Calif. Just go to Jiffylube etc. and get a basic safety inspection. No smog tests or emissions sticker or a letter from the manufacturer.

That's great, because my current drivers license is also from Texas. So I hope the info about Texas is correct.