Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

1954 Beetle

Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Default 1954 Beetle

My mom has had her 1954 beetle stored since 1978. Started up every so often. Runs good. My questions are about the shape the car is in. Being it is all original, how important would it be to find the original paperwork. She knows she kept it, it would be a daunting task to find it. Tme other questions are about restoration. The interior of this car has virtually no wear. It is dirty, that's about it. also, there are 116,000 original miles, no major parts have been replaced and/or rebuilt. The exterior is dull white, with some spots on it. There is suface rust on the original wheelcovers. Also a couple of spots on the body.
This car would look like an average everday driver, if you cleaned it waxed it! Nothing special, an average 10 year old bug, driving around in the 70's? In other words, it's not in showroom condition. It is in very very good condition, for the age of the car, though! I doubt if you find a nicer original? I'm afraid if I start taking the rust off and/or clean with something that is too abrasive, I risk devalueing the car? How important is it to leave original? How much do you think it is worth, as it is? Would it be worth more, or less, if you fix it? Like, do you put a real nice paint job on it?
Any advice?
1-How important is the window sticker and stuff?
2-How much do you think the car is worth?
3-How much, if any, value do you lose, if you make it REAL nice?
4- Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks
John

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.