Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Supercharge or Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default Supercharge or Turbo??

My question is..What would give me better results, or overall what would be better, supercharge or turbo??? Some people complain about turbo lag, or supercharge doesn't have enough PSI. If I get a turbo, should I get single or twin?? Pully driven supercharge, I know I will need light weight pullys, but with both I will need to replace stock internals....pushrods, cam kit, valves maybe. Any insight on this would be helpful, don't wanna go wrong on this. Looking for any opinion, from anyone!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Default RE: Supercharge or Turbo??

Alright ill bite,
But know ahead of time i am no expert, and these are my thoughts and opinions based on what i have picked up. you know that bagel but others may not.
so turbo or supercharger?... that is the question.
It has been my understanding that a turbo would be better for a car that is starting out naturally aspirated.
Superchargers use the pulleys to force air in, which in turn uses up precious horsepower just to push the charger. you smell what im steppin in??? It has to waste HP in order to make more.
Turbos boost off the exhaust, which is an amazing invention... i think Alfred Buchi was on some good drugs when he came up with it in the early 1900's,
anyway... back to the subject at hand, turbos have the lag because it takes exhaust pushing the turbine to make boost, so when youre taking off, the boost will be kinda low until the exhaust catches up. But to be honest, once you learn how to drive with the trubo lag, you can almost eliminate it. and i dont know what the difference in a v6 and a 4 cylinder would be for lag, but i would guess you wouldhave less considering your car is puting out more power on its own.
Now talkin about twins, i think thats gettin a little out there. single would kick major @$$ i think, and twins would be so much more expensive and more work just to make them worth while. thats my opinion. pretty sure a single would make that car scream.

check these out when you get a chance, pretty good info on both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

hope that helps, others on here know more than me so hopefully theyll chip in
Thats about all i got for now,
joelzy out!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Jsd

Hey fella's...

Looks like you mentioned the magic word to get MY attention lol mmmm Turbooooooooooooooooooooooo....
Turbo lag doesn't exist anymore. The only reason people still see it is because they use the wrong size turbo's for their applications. Bigger isn't always better. It's about getting that little wheel to spin as fast and as quickly as you can, depending if you're looking for line torque or top end. It's all about application and most people seem to forget to compensate for that.

I play with turbo's almost everyday...from 57mm trims all the way up to 67 trims..V6....to V8. S/C are garbage in my opinion. Unless you're slapping a huge crazy blower on a big block V8....yea you lose 100hp just turning it but come on....lol

To answer one of the questions, the difference between 4 cyl and 6 cyl is nothing. It's usually based on tuning and proper turbo size. 4cyl will usually run anything from T3 to a T4....and you won't have lag issues. Usually it's the drivers who can't keep up with the shifting. The technology has gotten so far advanced with these little bundles of joy called turbo's that it's hard to blame it on mechanical anymore. We know of one guy who had a NUT sitting in the turbo inlet...sheared the blades, and still ran a high 12 in the 1/4 in a full weight GRAND PRIX lol....

Where I think the new problems are coming from is tuning...you need custom tuning by pro's...fuel and air ratio is so paramount that without it being just barely perfect...you won't get lag, your car just sucks! Money wasted.

all for now

-Jeff

Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 PM

haha whoa... there you have it ladies and gents. the man knows his stuff. Jeff, you a little excited to talk turbos?
I thought i had a little lag on take off when i first bought my car but i credit most of that to not knowing how to drive it. Now its nothing
How bad@$$ is your job Jeff? honestly... i wanna play with turbos.
also youre totally right about tuning,(im sure you knew that) makes all the difference. i have a buddy who's 14 second Z28 wasnt ever tuned even after a great deal of mods. then he bit it and paid 300 or so to have a custom tune in Austin from a friend's friend. He now has a low 11's camaro

Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

OK single Turbo it is. Plus with the chip, I'll run real good. Thanx Joelzy for the input.

Hey Jeff, I thought I'd get your attention, considering you're the turbo guy. That's why I put both those applications on there. I'll come work for you, figure I could prolly pull an 8-hour hard-, working with all those turbos lol...so lucky! Now here's the hard part, getting the internals, and the right application for my VR6. T3 T4 is good, I know ppl who run T66...but I was thinking T3 T4 at first but then I got to thinking about a 60 trim. Trying to match the turbo and the parts to go along with it is gonna be tough. I'll have to do a lot of research to see what kits are out there. Thanx for all the input, keep 'em coming!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 PM

thats gonna be sexy as hell. fast too bagel you better keep us posted on progress.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I def will, like I said finding out which set of internals I want to run is gonna be tough. Not like building muscle cars like I have in the past, roller rockers and lifters, titanium push rods and valve springs. I was thinking of finding a VR6 that would match my car, but then what about an R32 motor, prolly would have to swtich everything under the body since it's an all-wheel drive motor. I'm racking my brain on this, don't wanna do the wrong thing and then have no VW to drive.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:31 PM

hey bagel... check this out.
i know its in a GTI but it is a vr6 turbo... not too shabby

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...3300df9210.htm

Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

That was pretty cool, think it said 310HP, but couldn't read it well. Tahnx for the link man, hope I can get up there with mine..lol

Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Anyone have any info on putting a turbo on an 07 2.5? Has it been done?

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo??