New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used to be VW enthusiast: New guy

Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Default Used to be VW enthusiast: New guy

I'm a psychotherapist in a children's mental health program and the creator of Lacy Dawn Adventures, a project that produces Science Fiction and author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse in West Virginia. In other words, I work with abused kiids. I'm not going to mention the name of my last novel because I don't want people on this forum to think that I'm here to ask you guys to buy it. I'm here to try to keep a 2000 Jetta on the road -- period.

It is my son's work car and he is in hot water for taking his company vehicle home so much. The Jetta is sitting in front of my house on the street. It has a gas, 2.0 with a 5 speed.

I drive a 95 explorer that I bought for $500 a couple of years ago and that has a sticky hydraulic lifter (noisy). I also have a 66 Dodge truck that is pretty close to being ready. It needs some welding on the bed (myself) before I paint it (myself).

I put myself thru college working on VWs. Back then it was simple. A complete engine overhaul, including acid cleaned heads and reground valves by a machine shop, the whole thing rarely exceeded $300 including my labor. I didn't bore cylinders because you used to be able to buy all four in a kit with rings for $100. I used a 2 X 8 board to remove the engine (me and a friend on the other end). Times sure have changed.

I'm still contemplating the new VWs. I've had a 59 bug, 61 bug, 61 bus, and 67 bug. My son had a 95 Jetta that was pretty but the tranny went out and it was subsequently crushed after it was broken into and trashed by vandals. That's my VW history, except our dealer is high dollar.

After we got married, in 1973, my wife and I drove that bus all over the country, from coast to coast, for a several months of honeymoon. So, I guess that VWs will always have a special place in my heart.