New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobtastic from Canada!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Default Noobtastic from Canada!

Howdy! Noob here from the warm lands of Canada! Love the wealth of information and looking to ask a question or two of my own after this post!

Going possibly to buy a 2k8 GTI today and having never owned a vw much less a GTI I'm very scared of all this cam follower and other issues people have mentioned!

Anyway thanks for having me and I will try and make a thread about my purchase in the other forums!

Cheers

Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Default Buying GTI mkv

Morning folks

So I found this mint looking GTI for sale... But having never bought or owned a vw I have a hard time deciding if ill get stuck with major repairs later or not.

Car is a GTI mk5 dsg 2door leather with 121kilometers on it! Price is a decent 12k...last owner really done a decent job with the looks and I love how it looks, has cold air and aftermarket exhaust with quad tips too...

Now the bad... I asked the dealer for service history and he sort of brushed me off saying Noone cares about that after warranty is done... He did tell me which vw dealer the last owner used so that's a plus I suppose...

Next worrying thing is that the accident report say car had an accident reported to insurance (not police) to the tune of 5k... Dealer said it was front driver bumper and headlights with no damage to frame....

Now questions... If I take the car to a vw mechanic, can they check for possible structural damage for me? How about all this stuff about cam follower issues? If they find nothing, if I was to buy extended powertrain warranty for it, would it protect me from these possible cam follower stuff later? Or should I just forget the 2008 and spend a more for a tsi engined one?

Thank you in advance!