New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just learning......

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Default Just learning......

Hi, people,

Im new here, and posted a few threads on the GTI forum, but seems its kinda like a ghost town. How can it be, people? GTI's not that cool? No one cares? Maybe the whole site is not a "hot" one? Also, strange thing- when I revisit it to check it out, my threads dont even appear.Its like a blank. feedback much appreciated as I need an edjukayshun.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what your complaining about I answered as much as I can in your gearbox dipstick thread but you never answered what I asked.

I need more info if your GTI has a timing belt or chain.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

If you only interested in the GTI there are plenty of GTI only forums if you Google them.

You've only made 5 posts and they all still show. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/se...earchid=256775

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
I don't know what your complaining about I answered as much as I can in your gearbox dipstick thread but you never answered what I asked.

I need more info if your GTI has a timing belt or chain.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

If you only interested in the GTI there are plenty of GTI only forums if you Google them.

You've only made 5 posts and they all still show. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/se...earchid=256775
I know you helped, Keith, Im not unhappy about that at all. It must be me- or something- whenever I click to view my posts/thread, it simply is NOT THERE. The entire GTI forum is abandoned. Thats right. I have never seen a forum like this that does that.

What else am I to think? Now, on getting back to you on info, its actually my friend's car, Im helping her out, and I dont have the car here right now, not that Im delaying getting you the info. But, we will get through this, Im confident. And again, thanks big time for your past help!!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Its strange you can't see your previous or anyones post they have made. If you click on a username and click either View Public Profile the click on Statistics you can click on Find all post by username. Or in the drop down box you can click Find all post by username.

I will ask again. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

The GTI / TDI section may look abandoned but it only the way this forum shows it posts in a particular forum. You have to click on the Display options below and change the date to what every time period you want to see. If you select 1 month you will only see 2 posts both from yourself.

Last edited by Keithuk; 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Ok, big thanks again, Keith. I will update my profine with info first.........

OH- This should help- my vin # is 9BWDE61 J434033 731. Isnt that pretty specific on what a car has?
Thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

That seems a strange VIN number for a VW 9BWDE61J434033731, but it appears to be correct VIN Decoder - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Last edited by Keithuk; 01-31-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Wow, I woulda never found that-packed with info, but I guess my VIN is still not good enough to find out if in fact I do have a timing belt OR a chain, right?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Well a good start would be if you told me the year of your GTI. That VIN decoder shows it should be the 1.8 ltr engine because the later ones use a 2.0 ltr engine. That decode doesn't even say the year.

There is another VIN search tool I use. I put your VIN number in last night and nothing comes back yet. You have to wait for a day or two before it shows the info. If you double click on the example VIN number you will see what it shows. Its a French site so you may need to convert the option codes in the list with VAG option codes

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Right- posted it on another thread (about the dip stick) but its a 2003. Funny how the vin does not include a year manufactured. Strange. Oh well, guess thats VW.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM

But, arent all 1.8T's the same engine?

Quick Reply: Just learning......