Just got a VW (first water cooled one), I'm probably going to be here a lot! - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Go Back  Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts > GENERAL Volkswagen Forums > New Member Area
Reload this Page >

Just got a VW (first water cooled one), I'm probably going to be here a lot!

New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a VW (first water cooled one), I'm probably going to be here a lot!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Default Just got a VW (first water cooled one), I'm probably going to be here a lot!

Greetings from Skitown USA, my step-daughter and I just picked up her new to us 1996 VW Cabrio. Today is her 16th birthday and she wanted a project we could wrench on together and she would be proud to drive. This one came cheap (for a myriad of reasons). We have a whole list of things that need to get fixed on her, but we're excited to get started. On the menu is the following;
  • Brake system overhaul (master cylinder is good, but I'm not trusting anything else)
  • New tires (easy, just expensive)
  • Replace Speed Sensor (speedometer doesn't work)
  • Repair/replace exhaust. It sounds bad and looks like some welded with their boogers
  • Replace soft top and carpet
  • Replace door seals
  • Re-upholster seats
  • Figure out why the check engine lite is on.
  • Explore the numerous noises we are hearing.
I drove it 28 miles home, and other than being terrified that a tire would blow she did pretty well. If anyone knows good resources for common issue, I'd love to see it.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

You can add your location to your profile.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM

I have a scanner and will scan it tonight, I was going to last night, but couldn't figure out where the OBD2 port was (sneaky Germans hid it next to the ashtray). Next thing will be new tires and brakes. We aren't in a hurry because she won't have her license until March, so we have plenty of time to do this right.