New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi all. New here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Question Hi all. New here.

It's been years since I have even been in a VW, but for some reason they have left an impression on me. Two of the girls I dated had VW's (one had a Golf and the other a Beetle), and the Golf really left an impression on me. I can't say why, but I could really just feel how much thought was put into the car. Not to sound cheesy, but it really left an impression on me(I know I've said it enough, hah). Ever since I was a kid, my dad always touted the reliability of Japanese cars - most notably Honda and Toyota.

A few weeks ago I was listening to a program on NPR, and the host was talking of how far the auto industry had come in the past few decades. Basically, he had come to the conclusion that the entire auto building process had become so streamlined that at this point there was no such thing as an unreliable car. This make a lot of sense, though I don't think I'll ever be able shake the sound of my father's voice smack-talking Chrysler's products, and would have a hard time buying a Hyundai in good faith, despite floods of people calling them the new honda.

What I'm saying is that I have a hard time believing that VW's and other German cars could be any less reliable than at least a Ford, Chevy, Mazda, or Hyundai (but maybe not quite as reliable as Toyota??).

I'm in a position where I'll be buying a new car soon, something under $25k, in the next few months. I'll probably buy new, only because I've never had a new car before and part of me wants to make a poor financial decision (kidding, but not really, but still kidding).

I've never really considered buying a VW. As far as I have always been concerned they were fun cars, but nor practical. Can you guys put my mind at ease? I've always found VW's to be cooler than average, but can you share anything that would help push me toward or away from them?

Many thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 10
Size:  951 Bytes

So are you thinking of a petrol or diesel VW?

TDI buyers guide