New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all - a short story

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Default Hello all - a short story

My name is Drew but those who know me best call me The Drizzle. On Halloween of '06 I totaled my 2001 4 Door Blazer which I was trying to sell. It actually turned out for the better because I couldn't get any serious offers for a $3k. The insurance gave me bluebook value which paid off what I owed (too much) and gave me $5k for a new ride. I knew already that I wanted something with a 5 speed manual transmission and I was thinking about a Honda Civic.

Whilst wandering through the rust laden cars of the Volunteers of America donation lot (pontiac, mi)... I noticed possibly the only car without any rust and in halfway decent shape. A 1997 4-Door Volkswagen Golf GL 2.0L with 5-speed Manual transmission. I took it for a test drive and I knew it needed some work but at around $2,500 out the door I definately had enough to cover the matinence.

So, after a tune-up, minimal brake work, new clutch kit, some trans work, some interior amenities and a new stereo head unit, I'm ready to do some of my style of work on it....which is usually interior stuff.

I don't know if this is the correct place to tell you about what my plans are...but my main plan is to completely re-do the center console from heater vents to e-brake...in wood, not sticker style either...real solid timber... with some custom leather boots and a custom shifter ****. I'm also thinking about taking a crack at reupholstering my seats as they are ridden with cigarette burns.

This is my daily driver so this may take sometime... I'll be in the Interior and A/V forums.