New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headgasket possibly killed my t4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Default Headgasket possibly killed my t4 :(

Heya, If anyone can advise or help me please do! I dont want to get rid of my T4 if I can help it!

I have a transporter T4 1.9 d

I have had a mate of mine who is a mechanic doing bits and bobs to my van recently and the latest thing to emerge is the possibilty that the head gasket has gone. I have read a few things about head gaskets and its seems depending on wether the heads warped, cracked etc it may be repairable?? is that right??? My mate isnt certain that it is the head gasket but through explaining the problems- this is the conclusion almost everyone comes to.

A couple months ago we had to replace the fuel filter and clear air a massive air bubble in the line - once this was done it continued to run very well.

Whilst driving home one night i heard some clicking/dragging noise, I didnt see anything come off and assumed it was a branch or something dragging! the following day the van wouldn't start - after playing with it we got it going... told by my mate to take it easy but should be fine

....drove about 15-20ish miles - smelt something burning so pulled over to double check.
as we pulled over the van stalled (luckily out of the main road) and steam pored out from the bonnet....

once the steam cleared and my mechanical mate turned up to help, the realisation that the auxhilary belt had come off (must have been the dragging noise i heard the night before) and water wasnt holding. it was going in the top and out the bottom!

the water pump was fixed and holds water fine now. the belt has been replaced. the part that melted slightly (i think he said it was the thermastat housing ??) has been replaced but the engine doesnt start.

its trying to start but nothing is kicking in, fully charged batteries have been tried - jump starts tried but nothing. no steam pours out of anywhere, nothing else leaking. last time i checked the water and oil is fine and so....

can anyone advise anything? id like to have a go at fixing it myself - im willing to learn and have a go - ive got plenty of time to make it a project!!

is there anything else i can check? what should i be looking for? since my mates been dealing with the van i havent been "allowed" to have a go myself so im starting from scratch as far as knowledge goes!

i love my t4 too much to let it go!