New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Cabriolet Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Default 1987 Cabriolet Newbie

Hello;
Just bought a 1987 Cabriolet that came from GA and thus really clean and solid body. Sadly someone thought flat Black over the original red was a good thing
I am wanting to put a GTI grille on as I like the 4 lamp look. Do these grille work on my Cabby? Also one of the rims is badly damaged and I would like to consider alloy wheels but do not seem to find any to choose from on eBay and Amazon type sites. Any ideas? I would like to locate a factory steel wheel in mean time.
One problem I have encountered and have yet to diagnose:
When car is at normal engine temp I have had intermittent stalling of the engine as I slow to a stop (automatic trans). Usually restarts immediately. However I have had a few instances were it took as much as 10 minutes to restart. It almost acted like it was not timed engine wise... looking for crank position??? Occasionally when I go to start it when it has not run for several hours (engine cold) it acts like it will not turn over ( brand new battery) and starter motor seems strong, more like a timing issue. Fuel pump sounds strong and did not act like a fuel delivery issue.
I have driven the car 90mph with little effort and normal engine temp indicated on dash gauge.
I have bought a Beck Arnley timing gear set with belt and tensioner. Hope this helps but does not really address the stalling issue.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have owned 8 Jettas and 1 Passat over the years so I feel I have working knowledge VW quirks.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Default 1987 Cabriolet Newbie

Hello;
I am brand new to this forum. Just bought a 1987 Cabriolet 2 weeks ago. I call her Georgia because I found a GA license plate in the rear cargo area.
I live in SW Wisconsin near the tri-state area of WI, IL and IA just 20 minutes from the Mississippi River.
I will turn 56 next week and I have been a car guy since I first sat behind the wheel of my Dad's 1960 Austin Healey Sprite MK1 (Bugeye) at the age of 6.
I own 6 MG Midgets, 1936 Ford Model 51 Stake bed truck, 1953 Chevy 1 ton Panel Wagon, 1959 ****** Truck with 327 V8, 1989 Chevy Scottsdale 2500 4X4, 1960 Bugeye and the 1987 Cabriolet makes an even dozen.
I keep telling myself I will start selling some of these treasures as it is difficult to find time to enjoy all of them. All are drivers and just need a little TLC here and there. Fortunately I have an Insurance company that only charges liability on the first 3 collector vehicles and thus my cost to insure these beauties is very affordable.
My wife is from Mindanao in the Philippines and we are thinking about shipping a couple vehicles there as it is rare to see vintage cars accept possibly in Manila.
Anyone ever in SW Wisconsin is welcome to give us a shout and we will be happy to meet up and swap stories about our mutual car addiction.
Happy motoring to all;
Doug and MaBelle

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Doug.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/