New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Rabbit major clutch / flywheel issues - need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Default 07 Rabbit major clutch / flywheel issues - need advice please

Hey there everyone,

First of all thank you very much for any help you can provide on this matter.

I have an 07 Rabbit with 27K miles that my girlfriend mainly drives that is under the factory warranty. So far it has been a great car for around town in the bay area and also proven fun for road trips as well.
Anyway, my girlfriend was in an accident in which she rear-ended somebody pretty hard which caused the hood to crinkle up etc but airbags did not go off. The point of impact was from the other car's trailer hitch mount and it went square into the front plate. The car was fully repaired at the body shop and shortly thereafter there was an issue that arose where the fan actually had to be replaced as well as the a/c condenser when the car was in for regular maintenance so the insurance company cut a second check for that since it was associated with the accident. After we picked up the car it was making a severe noise from the front end so we called to yet make another appointment to bring it in a week later. On the way back to the dealer the clutch went out completely after pressing the peddle and it would not spring back out. We had to tow the car to the dealer. Now the car is on the rack and the transmission is out and the adviser is saying the clutch is completely smoked to the point at which the flywheel got hot enough and it cracked. They are saying none of it will be covered by warranty and the total cost will be $2400- yikes.

So I am hoping there is someone out there who has experience in this field who can give me some insider advice as to what is the best way to hold the VW warranty responsible... I already filed a claim with VW directly and they are assigning it to someone to review and get back to me. Does it somehow benefit the dealership or adviser to not try to cover the repair through warranty somehow? I just don't know enough about the inside way this works between VW and my dealer.

On a side note my girlfriend has been driving manual her entire life and she is not an aggressive driver. her previous car was a honda and she sold it with over 50K (sold at 100K) with the clutch never having to be replaced as far as we know.

Also if there is anyone out there who can help me I would be glad to give you any free mortgage advice you need- i have been in the mortgage industry for many years and i work for a very prominent bank in SF dealing with mortgages-- just an offer if i can be of any help.

Thanks!!
Jerome