General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VR6 Jetta Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Default VR6 Jetta Clutch Replacement

Anyone every done one? If so, how do you go about it? Can you pull the trans w/ the engine in place or do you have to drop the whole assembly and split them once they are out of the car? Are there any weird tools involved (like the triple square drives on the half shafts)? Do you need to pull the radiator/condensor/support or can that stay in place?

My 2003 GLI (Jetta, VR6, 6sd)has a slipping clutch, need to know what I might be signing up for should I do it my self. I've never done a clutch job on a FWD transverse engine.

Thanks
Matt

Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Default RE: VR6 Jetta Clutch Replacement

you can pull the trans out solo
you dont need to pull the radiator
i can do one in under 2 hours but then i have a lift and have done a ton of them
they arnt to hard to do
pull the air filter and battery oout and you can get to all the upper bolts easy

Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Great thanks for the info. I don't have a lift, but I can get the car up good & high. I've had both the battery & air box out once already on this car so I'm familiar w/ that. Knowing that I can split it w/ the engine in place is what I was looking for.

Are there any weird tools involved? I now have a set of the triple-square drivers for the CV's (new since buying the car). I'd rather have everything on hand before I start rather than have it sit while I scare up some tool I don't have.

Thanks
Matt

Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 PM

For what its worth, pull the hood, support the motor from above. battery, box, air box, starter, clutch slave, shift linkage all come out/off. CV's removed entirely which includes separating the ball joint from the control arm. 4 bolts for the steering rack to come apart from the suspension cradle, 4 bolts to drop the cradle. Motor mounts & bell housing bolts and it comes out & down relatively easily.

Clutch had failed because of the internal slave cylinder leaked.