General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vr6 alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Default vr6 alternator

On Christmas EVE, we were driving when gradually various electrical problems popped up. First the battery light, then much later the speedometer started jumping up and down and displaying a speed that was too low, wipers became slow, and finally the engine stalled out.
We had it towed to a 24 hour garage. Normally we take it to our trusted mechanic, but we knew he would be closed for the holidays. After a few tests, the mechanic said it was the alternator. I asked him what else it could have been, and he said the belt but the belt was ok (I saw that it was still there). So he said to come back in 4 hours and it would be fixed.

He called us later saying it needed a 14V 120 AMP Bosch althernator and that it costs $500 CDN. He said all in all it would be just over $1000 CDN + tax for the repair (labour + part + diagnostic). I thought this was a little steep, but he was our only option on christmas eve. I told him that we wanted the old alternator (I know these can be rebuilt so I didn't want him to make even more cash from us) but he said he had to give it to his parts supplier in order to get the $500 CDN price.

It is now boxing day afternoon. My car is sitting in the garage without an alternator. The supplier had brought him the wrong part on christmas eve, and is unable to get the part till tomorrow.

My questions:

How long does it take to change an alternator on a 1996 Passat VR6?

Could it have been something else? (like wires or something to the battery)

How much should a bosch 14v 120 amp alternator cost? and does it make sense that he has to provide his supplier with the old one in order to get the $500 price?

What do you think a reasonable discount would be considering we missed christmas with our relatives, and the fact that we only towed our car to this guy because he said he could do it christmas eve?

What other serious repairs can be expected with this car at 180 K ? (it has been dealer serviced up until I bought it, and I have had it serviced by trusted mechanics only since. I put high octane fuel 90% of the time and change the oil regularly. it gets undercoated at least every two years. and gets driven often.)

L.L.