General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGH! How to Replace Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Default UGH! How to Replace Struts

So ya anyone who lives in vermont knows that the roads are ****, So finally my struts or shocks went. I am not sure what is in there. Its a 95 jetta GL. I was reading a couple sites and they said the best thing to do was buy a pre-assembelded set or something. Can anyone link me to all the parts I am going to need to replace these.

Cant go over 40 without the right side going nuts and shaking, Then if I am up at about 70 it kinds of goes away until I hit a bump or slow down.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Default RE: UGH! How to Replace Struts

if it is shaking, it doesnt seem like a shock/strut problem to me.

if you are a DIY guy, and it is possible for you to have access to a garage, struts and shocks are easy. (super dangerous) but easy to do yourself with time and patience. IF IT WERE ME, i would buy either a factory replacement set of preassembled springs/shocks, so you dont have to put yourself into the line of any dangers of compressing springs. if that option is not available, and your factory springs are still acceptable to you, i would reccomend 100% going to a sears, meineke, or any other reputable place and having them changed if you are not willing to walk on the wild side here.

Although I condone highly DIY, this is one i dont reccomend for beginners. f a spring becomes uncompressed to rapidly, it will pop off, and destroy anything in front of it.

IF you are going to try to do this yourself, then you will save money and get to have fun changing parts, which i love to do. First, you will need a spring compressor set, (auto zone loan a tool program) a friend who weighs more than 150lbs, to push the rotor and lower arm assembly down for you, and a socket set to remove the strut tower assembly bolts to let the shick/spring combo down. reverse th process after the new spring is on, and you are done. contact me for a more comprehensive faq if you need it, i will be glad to assist from afar. = ]

Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Default RE: UGH! How to Replace Struts

Definitely the problem is not the VW shocks/struts. But if you can hear a squiky noise while it is shaking then I might be convinced that it is the strut... If you don't have enough skills and knowldeged in changing this parts... Better ask for someone who knows and ask him to teach you how to do it.. I know it's not that hard, so that the next time you encounter the same problem... You could fix it yourself... Goodluck..