General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans. fluid low

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Default Trans. fluid low

How do you check it and where do you check the trans fluid on a 2000 Passat 1.8 ATW Automatic. Dealer stated that he would not tell me that the only way to check it was by way of their computer. My trans is leaking fluid out of the passenger side axle area plus I lost some when I did the oil pump timing belt replacement.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trans. fluid low

I don't have an AT but I'm pretty sure only the dealer can check it. On the axle it could be your final drive seal or a damaged CV boot.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

I just put a oil pump in the car and when I started the car it has a mechanical whine to it coming from the rear of the engine. At first I thought it was the new pump but now I am not so sure as the trans has been leaking for awhile and with me removing the radiator I am sure I lost even more fluid.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM

pull the big plug out 17 mm allen fill up with a hand pump untill it comes out with the car running
you put a small hose up through the hole that you pulled the plug out of

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM

The trans checked out ok however I did find the whine, looks like my BRAND NEW just installed timing belt was making the noise. Good news is the new belt broke and no more noise from anything. Whats the chances the head may still be good??? Car was only at idle

Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

the NEW belt broke? Kinda weird, however even at idle it could still cause some damage but it depends on how quickly you shut it off after the belt broke. It's wierd that a new belt would break sooo soon

Old 09-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Well the belt broke and the motor shut off by itself which would make since. Not sure where to go from here. I have a guy who works at a VW dealership and also has a garage at his house but he is not returning my calls. Another friend of mine has a garage as well and I may be giving him a call as I need this car fixed, on the road and out of my garage.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM

try a belt first but i have never seen one break that didnt bend valves
how old is the belt and who put it on?
i would bitch up a storm if i had somone do a belt and it went out
did they do a water pump and all the pullys when they where in there?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

he said he was at idle, but I've never seen a new belt break after install and I did see a few hondas with no damage but not a VW

Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM

I have a friend of mine coming over tomorrow after church to check out the situation. He has been working at a vw dealer for 13 yrs. I did do some research and I did learn that the belt sold to me was for a 99 not a 2000 and the tooth count was off. Car was just at idle as its still on jack stands. I replaced the rollar, tensioner, and pulley. I have no problem with the parts swap as I am more then confident with my abilities. This is only my 2nd VW and my 1st one ever to work on. I normally work on Hondas and I have a couple of drag cars, which are GM products. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help and guidance that you guys have giving me. Thanks and keep it coming!!!

Quick Reply: Trans. fluid low