General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Default timing belt!! Help!

ok now that the car has sat for almost 2 months we have figured out that the timing belt is shot. ( the distributor is not turning! ). i have most of the process done but i need help with one small but big obstacle. the mainbolt that holds the pully on to the cranlshaft!...first does this bolt turn clockwise or counter clockwise?....also do i have to remove the 4 small "allen " key bolts that connect the first part of the pulley to the back? ...and last but maybe most important...how the f*@# do i keep the crankshaft from turning while im trying to get this off. there are no slots like there are with the top shaft....please help as my old vehicle is dying and needs to see junkyard heven!

thanks in advance!
the dog

Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Default RE: timing belt!! Help!

yaaa good effort. the camshaft bolt shouldnt have to come off nor the crankshaft center bolt.the 4 allen key bolts do have to come off. all bolts are standard thread lefty loosy righty tighty the best way I have found to hold round things from turning is to pry against them with something long and strong crowbar hocky stick whatever and a good solid bang on the tool you are using to loosem with I have striped the inside of the hex key before the only thing that works after that is vicegrips you should replace the belt tentioner as well and the spark plugs for a better chance of starting

Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: timing belt!! Help!

thanks for the quick response fox...i had put the car on the back burner but now with a week of vacation it is now moved to the front. ok..your tip on the prybar worked for the crank shaft pulley but the last obstacle i have is the water pump pulley that is blocking the last part of the lower timing bet cover. it looks as if i try to pry to hard to get a bite on WP pulley i might bend it so i have backed off and here i am....i do have a wheel puller but im thinking that i have to remove the 3 hex head bolts first.....also the book says to line up the timing marks on the lower crankshat gear that you have to have the pulleys on.....1) i hope the pull has some sort of notch in it so i have it in the right spot so i set the timing right...2) its kind of stupid that i have to put the pulleys back on to set the timing and then remove them again to put the timing belt cover back on after im sure that the timing is set properly...its monday july 10th around 1:30 Cali time and im going to be in and out working on the car and checking this for an update.

as always..thanks in advance guys
the dog