General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skoda Octavia/VW Jetta O1M transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Default Skoda Octavia/VW Jetta O1M transmission problem

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but not new to the VW experience. (I learnt to drive on my dad's 1982 VW Transporter D, 1.6L turbo diesel). My friend has a 2004 Skoda Octavia with the VAG 1.8L 20v turbo and the O1M tranny. To the untrained eye, this car is mechanically identical to the Jetta of the same vintage. Recently she was driving away from a stoplightwhen the car bogged down for an instant and then released itself into a surge forward. I was thinking that this was an engine related issue and started digging in that direction. About a week later the car does the same thing but lets out a loud sound and stops completely in the middle of traffic. The engine runs nicely when in P or N but when it gets in gear the engine struggles even at full pedal (as if the brakes were binding) and that's accompanied by a screeching sound. Luckily for her this happened a few metres from her house and was able to drive the car home (it got to no faster than 30km/h). A few hours later the car would not move (forward or backward). The following morning when she called a tow-truck to take the car back to the dealer the strangest thing happened. As the towtruck tried to pull it on the flatbed the car started to screech tyres. The engine was off and the car was in N. What she noticed was that the right front wheel was turning FORWARD even though the car was being dragged backwards!! This lead me to believe that the tranmsmission was not freewheeling, meaning there was a jamming going on somewhere inside. The car was taken to the dealer and that's where it was revealed that the car was out of warranty. It has 14,000km on it and has been absolutely cared for and pampered. What do you guys think the problem could be? She's basically on her own now and the US$4,000+ I've been hearing about for a new/rebuilt tranny is not an option right now. I really need some help. She's a dear friend of mine and is next to tears right now. Thanks a lot.