General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side trim on '97 Golf

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Default Side trim on '97 Golf

Okay...so here's my issue. The trim on the front doors of my Golf are beginning to peel off. The driver's side door isn't bad, but the passenger side is TAPED because I was afraid it would rip right off on a long highway trip. So, since this is the automotive equivalent of tape on one's glasses, I need to get this fixed ASAP. Can anyone recommend any strong adhesives that might stick that back on? I am willing to try whatever...just so that it sticks, looks respectable, and doesn't come off again.

I do wish I had a photo, it really is priceless...

Thanks in advance!
VV

Old 08-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Side trim on '97 Golf

DONT USE A LIQUID ADHESIVE! this is messy and will end up dripping down your door no matter how little you use. I see it all the time. go to pep boys or some sort of other auto parts store and find 3M brand double sided foam molding tape. pull the peice of molding off completly and clean the back of it really good, make sure to get all the old stuff off (i had to use a razor blade) Let it dry really well.lay the molding down on a flat surface and peel one side of the tape off (since it is double sided it has a backing on each side both sides are sticky). apply the tape and let it set (preferably overnight) the next day go out and clean the spot on the door really well and let it dry. peel the backing off the other side and slowly and carefully line it up to the car. push pretty hard on it for a minute or two and let is set. dont drive for a few hours while the tape sets.

P.S. dont do this on a really hot day, the tape wont bond as well