General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled Trigger on 1st VW - Opinions about the extra products & services?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Default Pulled Trigger on 1st VW - Opinions about the extra products & services?

Hi folks,

We live in Montreal and just signed for a 2012 golf wagon 2.5. We put a lot of thought and research into it and are 100% sure it was exactly the right car for us. (Considered the TDI but it just didn't "fit" us.)

Of course, the next thing they do after you sign is show you into the finance mgr's office for the sales pitch on all the extra products and services the dealership wants to sell you. This is one area where I have not yet done a lot of homework, so we took all the info and said "thanks, we'll think about it all and get back to you, don't put anything down yet."

I'm curious to know others' opinions of the merit & value of the following... I know some are in the "don't buy a single thing, none of it is worth it" camp. In the past I have tended to be on the stingy side as well with these things but will gladly listen to unbiased opinions from other VW owners with an open mind.

Vin-Lock Lock (part etching for theft protection) - $300. Gives modest break on insurance rates.

VW's own anti-theft etching service (alternative to Vin-Lock) - $325. No insurance break, VW gives $5,000 if car stolen.

Replacement Value (also gives free Vin-Lock or VW etching)
5 yrs - $1,716
6 yrs - $1,865
7 yrs - $2,1308 yrs - $2,421

Scotch-guarding (interior fabric) - $300. 5 yr guarantee.

3M hood & bumper protection (clear plastic 'bra' film) - $375.

"Porcelain" paint sealer - $300 ("lasts 5 years" they say. Really??)

"4-star" Extended Warranty: 8 yrs or 100,000 Km* bumper-bumper - $2,090. Also gives $500 credit off car purchase price. Not really bumper-bumper (many parts excluded)

"5-star" Extended Warranty: 8 yrs or 100,000 Km* bumper-bumper - $2,172. Also gives $500 credit off car purchase price. Not really bumper-bumper (exclusion list unclear)
*tailored to our driving habits (low mileage, long term ownership)

...so what do you think - any of it sound worth it to you? Apologies for the lengthy post; all feedback welcome

Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 AM

Hi, i work for a VW dealership in Ohio, some of those are a little crazy. i dont believe in the Vin etching or anti theft stuff. i believe thats what the police are for and if a thief really wants your car he is gonna make it disappear.
Now the scotch guard is a good idea if you have kids. i know the product we use here protects really well. we use a 3M product. as for the paint protector that sounds like a bunch of B.S. stay away from that. the extended warranty stuff can be good, just all depends on what componenets are gonna be covered. because later down the road when the miles start to rack up some parts and service can get very expensive.
i hope that helped a little, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the candid feedback.

That view on dealer offered paint protectors seems pretty much universal, and I have always skipped them on new cars up to now...I listed it here just in case anyone has knowledge of this particular product somehow being different and better. It's a no-go for me unless anyone can make me a real convincing case for it.

In the last 20 years I have gone with Vin-Lock or equivalent just because we live in one of the world's car theft capitals and leaving it up to the police to keep your car safe seemed like an incomplete game plan around here. I agree that a top notch thief who sets his eye on your car will likely take it regardless, but thieves are people - which I believe also means that some are better at what they do than others. This may be wishful thinking on my part but we've followed the strategy of using multiple low cost deterrents (people think I'm quaint for still using a 'club') to convince the 'average' thief to move on to the next car, and so far my wife and I haven't had a car stolen in 50+ years of ownership between us (knocks on wood remembering we just bought a VW!). I appreciate your point of view on that though; nothing's decided yet.

We were leaning towards getting the scotch-guard. No kids, but transporting the elderly, with all the muddy canes, walkers and weelchairs that entails, makes a sufficient case for it. Have gone with that one in the past and not been disappointed.

Talking to my insurance company this morning I found I can get 5-year replacement coverage from them for about $400 less than the dealer's ($800 less if we pay for it in one lump instead of over 5 years). The etching services are free if we take the dealer's replacement coverage so that would make the difference less if we decided to include an etching service, but it would still be cheaper to go with the insurance company's replacement coverage regardless.

The plastic film over the bumper and front of the hood I have my doubts about. My spider senses tell me there must be drawbacks to it - anyone have any experience with that stuff? does it scuff, discolor or otherwise lose its complete 'transparency' over time? Cause issues by trapping moisture? Peel off? What does it do to the paint underneath it if/when you decide to remove it?

We may well go with an extended warranty - I just need to study the inclusion / exclusion lists a bit more, take stock of things we've had to repair within the same timeframe on previous cars, etc.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

nice stuff and so many things are there in this.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM

In the end we took the Scotchguard and the Vinlock. I found I could've gotten the Vinlock for $80 less by an independent retailer but that would've taken up 1/2 day or so of my time, and so I indulged the dealer on that one.

The VW proprietary etching option I looked into - the dealership dude was less than straightforward about that: if the car is stolen you get UP TO $5,000 back, not a flat $5,000 (amount dependent on what? and what hidden deductions and admin fees are on that payout...) TOWARDS PURCHASE OF REPLACEMENT vehicle. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the same folks trying to sell you replacement value insurance there turned around and told you at claim time you get $0 out of the $5,000 because your replacement car is already fully paid for by the insurance... Sounds like another slippery sales gimmick to me.

I also found our own insurance co. give us 5 yr replacement value at many hundreds less than what the VW salesdude is selling.

...and checking our long-term maintenance & repair bills on items the extended warranty would cover we found on not one of the several cars we have kept for 8+ yrs would that warranty have come close to paying for itself - even after the supposed $500 off - so we passed on that. (Actually I offered $1,000 for it out of curiosity but they weren't interested).

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM

congrats on the new golf! best of luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

I also found our own insurance co. give us 5 yr replacement value at many hundreds less than what the VW salesdude is selling.