General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower control arms on a 2000 VW Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Default Lower control arms on a 2000 VW Jetta

Help! I have a 2000 VW jetta with a bad lower control arm bushing on the driver's side. I ordered a new LCA with bushings, knocked the wheels off, jacked it up and discovered that I was unable to remove the old LCA due to the fact that the control arm pivot bolt lacks sufficient clearance of the transaxle fluid case to come out cleanly. I couldn't believe I had gotten that far into the job without realizing that I'd be unable to complete the job, but my Haynes manual made no mention of the fact that anything might obstruct my path on this particular repair. Does anyone know what I'm talking about that could impart a little wisdom my way? I tried contacting my local VW service center and they told me I'd have to bring it in. I'm out of work right now, and hoping to do this as on the cheap as possible. It looks like my options are pretty bleak: remove the transaxle fluid case or drop the subframe of my car enough to grant passage of the bolt. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic, but on account of the fact that I'm broke, I'm trying. Thanks.