General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Default Intake System

Hello everyone, I don't own a VW but a friend of mine does, and he's alot less mechanically inclined then me. He's got an '02 Golf GTI, and since he got it, he's been hard pressed to get a FMIC and BOV installed on it. Unfortunately, since he jumped from a Honda to the GTI, and he's still got that ricer mentality goin. So rather than researching the info on doing an FMIC and BOV install on his car, he went ahead paid somebody to "purchase and install" the parts for him. Well come to find out, the guy he paid bought some cheap kit off ebay and installed this crap incorrectly, and with no knowledge of how VW designed their entire FI and Intake system. I knew he was gonna run into problems, so know he's asking me for help. So here's the dilemma, I've been serachin around, and since yesterday I've discovered what a DV is, and the N249 solenoid and how to remove it. But I still can't seem to find a full layout of what sensors go where in the entire intake system, running from the turbo to the Intake Mani. He's got a check engine light, and I've got find what sensor those asses at the shop he took his car to didn't hook up, and or put in the wrong place. As you can see by my name, I drive a different car. So before I go fiddling with car, does anyone have a diagram of the entire intake system, starting from the turbo to the intake mani, with the list of sensors. I know this may or not be to much to ask, but maybe you guys can help a fellow VW person out, and I like his car to, sometimes when I take it for a spin I kinda wish I would've explored my options before I bought mine. Any help would be appreciated guys (and gals). Thanks...

Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Default RE: Intake System

let me check it out and ill get back at ya. no promises i can help but ill give it a throw

Old 10-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

First, kick that kid in the *****. Second, go to the dealership and ask for a schematic diagram of the Intake System. By the way, The FMIC, you know what that stands for?? Or does he? Anyways, if he has the old parts, part numbers should be on the parts, when a shop orders parts, aftermarket or stock, they give the part numbers to the wholesaler, or just look it up in a book. It then tells you what the equivalency would be. I know because my family owns an auto shop, and I spent most of life around that stuff. The Diverter Valve you speak of, what exactly are you wanting to know on that? Since you've got a SRT, assuming Neon, you should know exactly what a Diverter Valve is cause you prolly have one. I dunno, never dug into those cars, just installed aftermarket Stage 3 crap on them.

This guy FUBAR'd his car, and now he wants it back to orignal; not sure what exactly is being needed here. Not trying to chew anyone's butt, just hate seeing perfectly good VW's being ruined by Nonners. What specifically is it you guys need to know?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM

im wondering why he wanted a front mount in the first place? probably for looks but it wont boost you anymore without other upgrades, and im guessing the blow off was just for the sound effect.

The only two i could find info about are the MAF which is right outside the airbox and the intake air temp sens which looks like it sits on the end of the manifold. apart from that all i can find is the engine coolant temp sens
if you can get a code ive got the manual

also, here's the diagram for the turbo system, may be helpful

[IMG]local://upfiles/806/28E1828256F04E2AA7DC07DBE70496B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 PM

First off FMIC stands for "Front Mount Intercooler", which is what he had the shop, that he went through to purchase and install on his vehicle. Because he couldn't accept the fact that VW only gives a little IC like stock Mitsubishi Eclipses when they were still turbo. Along with an aftermarket BOV "Blow Off Valve", and no SRT4's stock do not have DV's, we have Bypass Valves which is mounted directly on the turbo itself, while yours, from what I have read, sounds like it works inline with the piping as sort of a dam to block the leftover pressure from the turbo from chargin into the pipes. I don't know, I've never tore down the entire piping system from the turbo to the TB "Throttle Body" of a 2002 1.8T GTI Golf. So before I go ripping **** apart like an idiot, I'm doing my homework first before I go nitty titty with his car. Finally no he doesn't want to go back to original, and even he did, he got rid of the stock parts. I'm 26, and my days of messing around and tryin to install parts for coolness facter have been long gone. I'm tryin to help a friend out and I figured I'd ask for a little help from VW community. So please don't come chewing me off about what someone else did with their car, and then question my mechanical skills when at least I did a little research before asking my question. I'm not claiming to be a god, but I'm not stupid. But in either way, it doesn't matter, it looks like I'll have to dealorship and see if I can get the schematics that way. I really appreciate the help Joelzy. I don't know if it's my work comp or not, but the picture on that link you sent me doesn't work. When I get home I'll try it again there. I apologize for ranting...

Old 10-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!! Sounds like you know your stuff, just wanted to make sure you weren't some punk kid. Like I said I wasn't trying to chew anyone, just get a lil worked up from time to time. SO, I'm glad you did your homework, and doing research to go in with knowledge, instead of goin in blind. I know acronyms, just like the next guy, I've worked on just about every manufacturers car that's come my way. My cuz back home is faxing me a blueprint of the entire system so hopefully I'll have that for you soon. Other tha nthat, any specific questions you may have, just ask.
The reason I ask about the intercooler is, like Joelzy says, why would he want that? You don't boost any higher, without adding more aftermarket parts to that. I dunno, just trying to get the reasoning down, you know?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM

I understand what you mean, Bagel, sorry for gettin ticked off myself. It hasn't been a good few months with my wedding, my buddy's car wit issues, work being so busy and training new guys, and taking care of my uncles sick dog cause they lack responsibilty to take care of him. I'm little stressed at the moment. I tried to convince him not to get the intercooler cause it wouldn't make that much of a difference, since he was pretty much stock, and I tried to get him to really research his car on how it operates. Because believe me, when I switched over to my car from N/A built tegra (yeah, pistons, SK2 high compression valves, SK2 Titanium retainers, ITR head, ITR valve springs, SK2 IM, SK2 cam gears, MSD, CTR intake cam, and ITR exhaust cam. All done by me, and my friends in their shop. I miss it sometimes[X(]). The many things I had to relearn about turbo cars, I read on the SRT forums for months before I even started messing with da boost. I've known him since he was 15, and he's 19 now. He's easily influenced by peer pressure, let's just leave it at that. What's gay Joelzy, I can see that thumbnail below the relply screen, but when I click it, it gives me the red X [>:]. Once you can get me that blue print Bagel, and I can convince my S.O. to let him use my car for the weekend so I can take his. I'll keep ya'll posted on the results, and if I have any trouble I'll post up some pics of what it is. Thanks Bagel and Joelzy.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM

well, it may not be all that useful anyway being the turbo system not the actual intake diagram but as you know it has a lot to do with the intake so your problem could lie in this region, but here's another attempt, just use the link and you should be able to see it

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...tch85/dia2.jpg

Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 PM

here's more of what you're looking for i believe... hope it helps

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...tch85/DIA5.jpg

Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Man, I don't what it is, but I cannot save or view the file for the life of me. Sometimes technology just irks my chain..

Quick Reply: Intake System