General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Default Clicking Clutch pedal

OK.... so, we have a 2001 VR6 Jetta Wagon & love it. It's a standard. Just had it "tuned-up" (75,000 mile service @ the dealership) on Wednesday (12.10.2008) & this past Saturday (12.13.2008), the clutch pedal starts to click when letting it out (no matter what gear). I googled it & from many other forums not VW I've come across it being a problem w/the clutch master cylinder. In one of the other forums (Honda or Acura), someone said it was a pretty quick change (less than 2 hours), but the difficult part was getting to it.

So am I warm/hot/cold as far as my "diagnosis"? It's the 1st VW we've ever had & I don't know if there's a general time when the clutch starts to go. Will we need a new master cylinder? In many of the discussions I've read, the clutch slave cylinder should be changed/replaced @ the time of the master cylinder is replaced. Is this correct?

Here's another question, a little off topic: when should this be done? -> flush the clutch hydraulic system every time you flush the brakes. Water is the enemy of the clutch master cylinder and if you dont flush the fluid, you will get rust in the clutch system causing the clutch master cylinder to fail. Is this something that the dealership mechanics do on a regular tune-up? Sometimes I take the car in & sometimes my Husband does.

I've got to go. The Boys are DEMANDING my attention (holy crap I hate that). Please ask any questions 'cause I'm sure I've not been as specific as I needed to be. Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Clicking Clutch pedal

Now the clutch isn't clicking. WTHeck?

Is it the cold?

I don't remember this happening in the past.