General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing the drink cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Default changing the drink cup holder

I've read about people having a lot of problems with thier drink cup holder in their golfs and jettas. I'm one of those folks. My 2002 Golf came with with one broken off "claw" and an additional piece of plastic that looks as if I might be able to be glued back together nd work if I could clamp it at a different angle...so I'm trying ot figure out how to take it out with out marring up the dash or breaking any more parts off the holder.

Does anyone know the trick to remove this part. Does it need a key?

I'd just get a new one but a replacement seems to be between 50 and 100 dollars. That's an awfully expensive drink holder if you ask me. I know some accessory parts are available to hold drinks in the arm rest or off to the side with a pop out vanagon holder but I'd prefer to try and fix this one.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Default RE: changing the drink cup holder

Try a glue trick first, go by Auto Zone and pick up a
packet of JB Weld, that's a two part glue you mix equal
parts and apply. The color is gray and will clean up before
it drys with kerosene or nail polish remover. Apply the
mix and stick the broken parts together, use clear tape
to tape the parts into position, be sure they are aligned
correctly, let it dry over night, remove the tape and if
you have to you can sand the glue with sand paper or
emery board. If you need to have added strength to the
glued part you can mix a small amout and glue a piece
of wire to the inside of the holder, in line with the with
the length of the ' claw'. You should be able to do this
with out removing the holder. PS be sure the wire is the
length of the claw and not just a short stub. and you
should sand the inside of the claw so the glue will stick.
Sanding the broken area wont be ness.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM

quick bond is a great idea. I'll try that.

I still think that the pieces are difficult to match up while it's in the assembly. They are quite close to each other. I'm thinking that gravity won't be my friend in this case. Is it really difficult to take out? Is that why you recomend not taking it out?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM

If your not familiar with removing it, you could cause a
lot more damage than you already have. I glued one
like your's by doing what I suggested but used a large
plastic cup, set the cup in the holder, glue the parts and
taped it to the cup, that held it in place untill it dried, then
I removed the tape and cup, glued a piece of coat hangar
on the inside of the claw, then decided to glue a piece of
coat hangar on all the other claws before they broke, I then painted the gray glue black to match the color of the
plastic. You do have to let the glue dry 24 hours before
using the holder.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM

well I tried the glue bit and I have to say that I'm oretty frustrated. The glue dripped and got on the front face of the radio a little and squirted a little on the dash a little too and I don't think there is anythig I can use to get it off that wont mess up these surfaces any more. It's minimal to the casual observer but I've just scarred my baby's face. I had a cover but the glue got behind it. Sigh... also it didn't work. the way it broke it needed reinforcing but the placement of the moving parts was so tight that it wouldn't accomidate it even though a paper thin piece of cloth was what I used-I've found nothing stronger or thinner then see through bra material. so I had to take the whole works off becasue access to the stereo is more important and in the process an other internal part broke off.*&^%$ so, I tried getting it back in place a few times an holding down the glue etc but it kept springing open.... Frustrated, I made a quick hack, I cut an elastic shoulder strap off the bra glued it into the hole left by the broken off pieces and tied the other end in a knot around the center bar. even though this is a bit clunky the elegance is in the knot which can slide closer to the dash to secure an mp3 player, satelite radio, phone or other small random device that a passenger or I might bring along on a car trip...and I think it can hold a drink if two hands are used to nestle it intot he strap. It will have to do for now. If anyone happens to have a working one, I'll take donations.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

WOW! Crafty individuals..lol. What I am about to tell you is by no means a recommendation! my drink holder sat above my CD player. I pulled it all the out, like I was gonna use it. I tied wire around the whole thing, put on some welding gloves, and sat in the back seat and yanked as hard as I could until it came out. It didn't even really break anything. The holder just slid in and out, so I pretty much mucled it out, so in it's place is a DVD player.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Ingenious application of brute force! :P i'll keep that in mind if the other side breaks.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Did you use the JB Weld type glue I mentioned? it's
a thick paste, and you use a stick to wipe it on.