Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Vans - Routan, Sharan, Caddy, Transporter (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-vans-routan-sharan-caddy-transporter-44/)
-   -   VW Eurovan (T4) 1996 / Winnebago Rialta Conversion Van (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-vans-routan-sharan-caddy-transporter-44/vw-eurovan-t4-1996-winnebago-rialta-conversion-van-37719/)

gestalt 07-27-2018 04:21 PM

VW Eurovan (T4) 1996 / Winnebago Rialta Conversion Van

Hello Community,

My question is: what parts should I take special care of — or: what repair items will I most likely have to deal with next?

I bought just recently a 1996 Winnebago Rialta (1996). This is a conversion van — VW took the Eurovan (T4) and converted this into a B-Class motorhome.
It is a 5 cylinder gas engine. Since I bought it I had to do a lot's of repair on the engine (not to mention the cost in towing). It seems that this thing wasn't use for quite a while. It has 90K miles on it, but probably for the past years it was just stored. The engine is in its original state, since 1996 nothing was replaced — therefore there are a lot of leaking hoses, greasy and clogged parts.

Here is a list of the repair that I had to get done:
  • Replaced front and rear muffler due to rust
  • Got new tires
  • got a new radiator and associated hoses were replaced since they leaked and the engine was easily overheating when idling
Things that I already spotted and will fix soon:
  • the transmission distribution cap cracked and lost its sealing, so I basically can't really drive until thats fixed.
  • The AC is not working due to a leak in one of the hoses, so it can't keep the pressure
I am seriously afraid to hit the road cause I expect the next big thing happen anytime when I am out on the freeway or what not...
So I'd like to ask you if you have any advice on what items I may have to have an eye one. Or even consider to replace it before hitting the road, even if there is no indication of failure FOR NOW.

Thank you already BIG TIMES in advance for your answers!
Gestalt

Keithuk 07-28-2018 06:08 AM

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

ETKA doesn't list EuroVan, what's the engine code?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1990-10/1996, Model: EuroVan, Engine Code: ACU, 81Kw, 110PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Digifant
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/1990-07/1995, Model: EuroVan, Engine Code: AAF, 81Kw, 110PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Digifant

gestalt 07-28-2018 09:37 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome !

I apologize if I broke any forum rules!

Question: what do you mean by “...else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!...”

Another question: what stands ETKA for? And where would I find the engine code?

Maybe I misinterpreted the purpose and audience of this forum.
I am obviously not a mechanic and that is the exact reason why I subscribed here. Because I hoped to get input from people who are experienced and knowledgeable and also patient with non-mechanics, who need a little extra explanation. Most mechanics that I met fit this category very well, that’s why appreciate them so much. I hoped to find a similar crowd here.

Keithuk 07-29-2018 07:38 AM

Please tell us your car spec in your signature