Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Touareg (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-touareg-24/)
-   -   UNUSUAL wear of tires - ONLY 15K miles (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-touareg-24/unusual-wear-tires-only-15k-miles-3225/)

noh2ovw 05-27-2007 04:05 PM

UNUSUAL wear of tires - ONLY 15K miles

Start off with I own a 2005 Touareg and yes, the irony behind the log on may not make sense - however I have had more aircooled VW's than I can count and definately of those - brought more back to life than I have had watered cooled VW's. Nothing against the watercooled - of course or I wouldn't own one now with several other littering the garage.

On to the reason for the request for help. Not sure if anyone else that has owned a 2004 or newer Touareg, however it seems to be with the 19 inch rims, VW has matched the Pirelli tires. With the last two Touaregs I have had (2004 and 2005) I have had the same tire rim combination. I have noticed lately that I am wearing the center of the tire out from the tread that runs the down the middle. I know this due to the fact that we tagged a curb with the drivers right rear and had to replace it due to a sever bubble - so as I compare the two tires, the difference is obvious.

The first thought I had was the tire pressure - maybe too much. That can not be the case due to the fact that I am relegious about checking the tire pressure and very seldom does it need added to - therefore I am not loosing pressure. The factory sticker for the 19 inch rims is 41 in the front and 46 in the rear. Seems pretty high but checked and double checked that statistic.

The worst part of the entire thing is that I only have 15,000 miles on this car.

I have not approached the dealer about this yet - just reaching out to you all for any advise or understanding if anyone else has noticed this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

elliottp 07-10-2007 11:29 PM

RE: UNUSUAL wear of tires - ONLY 15K miles

I own a 2004 T. I am on my 2nd set of Pirellis. At about 12,000 miles I could hear tire noise. It got so bad at 15,000 that I could not stand it anymore. I was able to convince the dealer that it is an enguineering flaw. I learned this on a T-reg forum. The dealer split the cost with me. I am also on my second set of brakes. It seems that T's eat brakes and tires. It is still a great vehicle with many attributes.

noh2ovw 07-11-2007 06:10 PM

Thanks for the comments - took it to the dealer and they are telling me "due to the Touareg being such a heavy car, your tires will only last about 25,000 miles - Oh and by the way, you will probably need to replace the brakes at the same time."

Wish I would have known that.

Thanks again for the reply - at least I am not the only one out there.

fmercaldo 12-25-2007 09:49 AM

I have a 2005 Touareg V-8, and also a Porsche Cayenne S 2006; both with 15,000 miles on them, and both need tires......Michelins on the Porsche, Continentals on the VW...had a blowout last week at 80 mph on the Porsche...front right tire...but the PSM (Porsche Stability Management) worked so well, I didn't even veer at all off center. My best experience these days on another car (BMW 7 series 2004) is Perrilis....again, Michelins wore out at 20,000 on BMW along with numerous quality issues along the way.....
I guess I'm going to have to stick with Michelins on the Porsche, as I just bought a new 275/45 R19 to replace the bad tire....but does anyone have a recommendation for the Touareg tires? Custom chrome rims, but only 18".....