Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Passat / CC (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/)
-   -   problem on passat, please help :( (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/problem-passat-please-help-35037/)

djd3nny14 08-03-2012 08:10 AM

problem on passat, please help :(

hello guys, first of all i have to say i really admire the work you all put on this forum it really is great.

second i'm very sorry if this has been discussed on another post but i couldnt actually found what interested me.

my problem is as follows , i have a vw passat saloon shape from 2001 , 1.6L on petrol. the problem is on one of the ignition plugs, anytime im taking it out i find oil there, the rest of them are pretty clear is just that one that always had oil in there even if i clean it.

other than that the car is kinda alright, even tought it runs pretty slowly with the revs high up, starts a bit slow from the lights but i thought thats normal considering the weight of the car and only 1.6 engine. many times in the morning when i start the car a bit of whiteish smoke comes out(only a bit), other problems cant really remember at the moment but id be glad if you can knock some knowledge into me with the oil and plug problem.

thanks in advance.

nintim 05-19-2013 10:50 PM

generaly speaking from my novice personal experances if petrol u mean gasoline and i am understanding u right it sounds like a head gasket seal... again i dunno v w in perticular just general engine knowlage.

the only way i know how to diagnose that back yard mechanic style prob wont work on a vw because i hear the coolent system is a presureized system.. but this worked for me on my chevy... seek alittle more info before trying this with your vw if it is a presurized coolent system do not do this...

start car..
pop hood
open coolent overflow
carefully peer inside

if you see air bubbles coming up thru the overflow tube u have a bad head gasket...

again find out if this coolent system is presureized before trying this..

trib 05-26-2013 04:34 PM

Djd,
Either the oil scraper ring, or valve seals are leaking for that particular cylinder. Either way, the head has to come off and if your replacing the piston rings, you're talking major engine overhaul.
Trib.

robertrackson 07-23-2013 05:43 AM

It seems that you didn't go for car service regularly. And that's the big reason you are facing this trouble with your car. I suggest you that you need to take your wheels instantly towards car service centre.

Johnix6 10-02-2013 05:05 PM

I had same problem on my 1999 Passat 1.8t aeb
first step because of cost and labor time!!order valve cover gasket set .
remove the coil and spark plugs and inspect the spark on that oily cyl.
if you have a leaking piston rings spark plug tip should be wet and pretty dirty compare with another sparks. even cylinder leak test be handy to just the make sure.
remove valve cover
clean the old gasket pieces and spark plug holes just make sure nothing drop in the engine!!!
ATTENTION..
check that oily cylinder spark hole top and under valve cover (where that middle round gaskets stays) have to be smooth no cracks or bends!!
apply black rtv silicone on side gasket corners (look at the old gasket where is the rtv required to apply)
and apply rtv on top that middle round section and under valve cover but very light use your finger (gloved finger) apply slightly thin cover!!
place new gaskets and valve cover hand tight the bolts and let it stay list 3o/45min till rtv dries.
than torque the bolts and sparks place the coils !!
check that oily cylinder after 300/400 miles drive probably will be fine that's the only place oil can pass tru between spark and the coil!!
good luck