Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Passat / CC (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/)
-   -   Buy or Do Not Buy: 2001.5 Passat V6 4Motion (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/buy-do-not-buy-2001-5-passat-v6-4motion-23927/)

laserize 10-06-2010 08:14 PM

Buy or Do Not Buy: 2001.5 Passat V6 4Motion

*If I should have posted this in the New Member section please let me know and I can repost there*

After totaling my beloved 1996 Toyota Camry last December, having been without my OWN car for almost a year now, I am finally in the position to purchase a new(er) car. I need something inexpensive, reliable, and good in snow. I have come across a 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 4Motion that I really like a lot. I've read a lot of mixed reviews online as to whether or not to purchase this car, so I figured that I would post here and see what kind of response I get.

Here is the basic list of specs and what has been done to the car:

2001.5 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion
142,000 miles
Clean Carfax
Leather, moonroof, Monsoon, etc.
Newer Transmission (does not state how new/reason for replacement)
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner done @ 104K

As of this year:
-Front and rear cam seals replaced, drivers and passengers side
- Rear cam plugs replaced, drivers and passengers side
- 3 Oxygen Sensors Replaced
- Cam chain tensioner gasket and rubber plug replaced, drivers and passengers side
- Front right ABS wheel speed sensor and wiring harness replaced
- Front CV shafts replaced, drivers and passengers
- Airbag clockspring replaced due to open circuit
- CCM (Central Convenience Module) replaced, coding and adaptations performed
- Front headlight unit passenger side replaced
- Complete PCV system replaced including cross pipe breather tube assembly with PCV valve, F-hose assembly, mechanical vacuum pump and brake booster check valve, all corresponding braided vacuum hose with clamps
- Air filter, snow screen modification
- Tune up with Spark Plugs
- All hoses checked and replaced if necessary
- Front Fan Belt replaced
- Battery drained and recharged
- Rear Brakes completely overhauled - New rotors, New Pads
- Synthetic Oil change 5W 40 and filter

Now I am not sure if it is a good thing the the owner had all of this done. Was this all preventative? Or are all of these repairs a major red flag? Also, anything else I would need to have done?

The bottom line is I don't have a lot of money to spend on additional repairs/maintenance at the moment, which is what attracted me to this car in the first place, as it has already had a lot of the stuff done. I just don't want to buy a lemon that will potentially need more repairs in the near future.

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice, and again, I apologize if this was not in the right section.

elrocco88 10-06-2010 11:52 PM

Yeah, all that stuff is normal maintenance. Passats are great cars. Most owners don't do that to their cars. That's why they end up paying more when the car breaks down on them...
How much is the owner asking for??

laserize 10-07-2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by elrocco88 (Post 41790)
Yeah, all that stuff is normal maintenance. Passats are great cars. Most owners don't do that to their cars. That's why they end up paying more when the car breaks down on them...
How much is the owner asking for??

He's only asking $5,100. Considering that its in great shape and all of this is already done to it, I hoped it would be a good buy. I am away at school so I am going to have my parents go check it out for me.

GrossAngel 10-11-2010 03:12 AM

$5100?I think it is really affordable, good. I also have vehicles $7240.

elrocco88 10-12-2010 02:27 AM

Yeah! It's a great deal!!