Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Passat / CC (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/)
-   -   99 Passat 1.8t manual DEAD Need pro Advice! (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/99-passat-1-8t-manual-dead-need-pro-advice-36081/)

Johnix6 10-02-2013 08:00 PM

99 Passat 1.8t manual DEAD Need pro Advice!

1999 vw Passat sedan 1.8t AEB engine 5manual trany

Looong story short I bought this car from local someone
most of the parts was in the box scrambled bigg mess.;)
but body looks good and has only 75k miles no swap everything stock matching number looks like some one start to do timing belt and runaway:)
after couple hundred calls to ecs and with haynes and of course all you guys answers help able to put everything back to normal

-- new timing belt ultimate kit (all the belts timing tensioner/dumper with roller/water pump/g12/thermostat / serp.belt tensioner +new gaskets seals bolts )
--removed intake manifold complete clean and test injectors 14ohms new o rings kit replaced all new obx int. manifold gasket
--new valve cover gasket (had to remove valve cover when setting the timing and check the valves they look all good and closed when cam gear set on the timing mark)fresh air filter oil spark plugs
--complete new pcv system with hoses and valves connectors and seals tnx ecs
--
so for I able to put everything back together its cranks but not runs!!

till the radiator fresh coolant clean temp. sensor
new charged battery gives 12.10v and able to power up today
lights up pretty loud ring for an minute
dashboard works
fuel pump kick in have fuel in the rail
I try to connect ecu gave me a link error first that after market stereo with k line story so I removed to am stereo and abs fuses disconnected
able to link in the ecu
these are the codes
p1237/p1238/p1239/p1240 open circuit on injectors
p1545/p1547 throttle body high voltage
still cranks good but doesn't start??
I check all the fuses did not find any blown
fuel injector cables triple check connected
when I clean intake manifold clean the throttle body and replace the gasket and test it on the bench for continuity according the Haynes manual its in good range! but when scan tool connected I can not read throttle changes on screen.
check all cables again everything looks goods.

on dash I have abs light I have to remove abs fuses to connect scan tool to ecu
airbag light on ( I had to remove passenger seat to to clean under carpet water issue and check the cables over there wasn't too much water there cables and connections looks just fine so one airbag is missing )

check engine lights just stays there I cannot erase them I mean this car was out the power list couple of months !! I removed battery for a 30 min reconnect as soon as its cranks lights coming bag with same codes !!

ECU. I open the box to check connectors and cables clean ! cables are all good no bend or broken.
still not runs??
where should I go from here??
do I need new ecu or should I spend that money on vag-com software??
do I have a short to ground?
do I need new throttle?
this car have to run everything looks good .:))):confused:

if anybody have an idea please let me know I be grateful for any help.Thanks

Keithuk 10-03-2013 07:25 AM

I don't have the spec for you engine code AEB but other specs show 15-20 Ohms injector resistance so 14 isn't too bad.

P1238, P1239 and P1240 are the same.

VAG Error Code: 17645
EOBD II Error Code: P1237

Fault Location:
Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30) - Open Circuit

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Poor engine performance.

Fuse for injector.
Wiring harness issue.
Failed injector.
Failed Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Inspect fuse for injector.
Inspect Wiring/Connector(s) to and from injector, see repair manual.
Ohm test injector, replace if needed, see repair manual.

VAG Error Code: 17953
EOBD II Error Code: P1545

Fault Location:

Throttle Valve Controller - Malfunction

Possible Cause:

Increased Idle Speed.
Bucking at Load Change.

Throttle Body dirty.

Throttle Body Wiring faulty.
Throttle Body faulty.

Possible Solutions:

Clean Throttle Body.
Check Throttle Body Wiring.
Check Throttle Body.

Special Notes:

Use Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting for testing.
When found in the NAR (North American Region) 2.0 TFSI: check TSB 01-09-04 or 2018652 for a wiring repair at the Throttle Body.
See Throttle Body Alignment (TBA).

VAG Error Code: 17956
EOBD II Error Code: P1548

Fault Location:

Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) - Open Circuit

Possible Cause:

Irregular behaviour.
Loss of power.
Limp mode.

Wiring/Connector(s) faulty (short circuit).

Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty.

Possible Solutions:

Check Wiring/Connector(s).
Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75).

Johnix6 10-03-2013 01:24 PM

tnx Keith
today I check fuse 34#
on back side cables I had 12v but front of fuse I had 5v so I cut the line and add external fuse now fuse shows 12v but still no luck for start. still cranks but no run.
now I going to remove intake manifold and check wiring harness for injectors and throttle to ecu.
throttle body continuity test on the bench shows good reading according to Haynes manual but no respond on the car when scan tool connected .
I had barrowed same ecu from the friend and try to start with that but still giving me same codes and same attitude cranks no starts. I try vag-com but not able to connect but basic scan tool able to pull codes out:)) weird
i'll be back with updates thanks

Johnix6 10-03-2013 01:26 PM

and sorry its my bad 6th code is p1547 by mistake I wrote p1548!!

Keithuk 10-03-2013 03:26 PM

VAG Error Code: 17955
EOBD II Error Code: P1547

Fault Location:
Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) - Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
Irregular behaviour.
Loss of power.
Limp mode.

Wiring/Connector(s) faulty (short circuit).
Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Wiring/Connector(s).
Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75).

Johnix6 10-03-2013 05:48 PM

new updates!!
I check wiring harness
throttle to ecu clean no short cables are in good shape of course I didn't just look at them I test end to end with dvom continuity.. all throttle cables are fine
fuel injector cables are good till ecu no shorts. green/yellow cable
then
I went inside fuse 34# has two cables green/yellow--green/black
green/yellow goes to relay 384# test it its good but green/black goes in next relay
which I don't have any relay on it( I bought the car with most of the parts in the box)
so I start to think missing one relay over there.??
it bottom relays I check Haynes its shows spot empty but just wanna make sure.
there is a spot for 5 relays but I have 4.. 1/relay 204--2/relay 370#--empty--relay372# and relay 377#
is there any relay between 370 and 372???
so today end up with nothing:(( tomorrow I will go over interior cables to ecu lets see if any luck to find short.

Johnix6 10-04-2013 09:12 PM

What's the resistance between b+toB(-) should be?

1999 Passat aeb 5manual
Ecu giving me codes that relative with short the ground in several locations.
no power on injectors and high voltage on throttle body but I test all harness fuses relays found no any major issues
So what is the normal resistance range between Battery cable (+) to batterycable(-) ?
ohms meter reading 0.680ohms is that good or high?

Keithuk 10-05-2013 08:43 AM

You can't check the resistance between battery cable (+) to battery cable (-) if the battery is connected it will blow your meter.

Your resistance of 0.680 ohms and a battery voltage of say 12.6 will give a curent draw of around 18.5 amps which will flatten your battery.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u7I--QJ3X3...'s+Law.gif

I being current.

Post merged.

Johnix6 10-06-2013 09:01 AM

Updates

Yesterday able to wrap the wiring harnesses back and give it a shot .

My fuse 34#fix paid of now I am getting power to 4 injectors but I still have the injector codes
codes drops 5 counts from 7. now I have p0137/138/139/140 and p1545.
Ecu is not erasable some how it responding the changes. first time I start with 11 codes. example I had coolant temp. sensor code flash the system clean the sensor and ecu erased the code it self. now count five:))

when I crank. starter turn the engine but its doesn't feel alike strong crank. Just turns.
but injector codes doesn't change. I test the cables off power end to end 0.001 ohms throttle body to ecu-injectors to fuse / injectors to ecu I replaced the relay #384/
clean all the grounds . recharge the battery I order used ecu but don't received yet .
where else I could have short to ground relative to this cituation?

not many place left to look .? any suggestions

Johnix6 10-08-2013 03:01 PM

Short to ground problem solved!!
under driver seat there is a CCM cables come out from the box and make a slight left turn some where under the clutch pedal, under carpet.
found brown/red cable touching the ccm's ground. Fired the ccm and sunroof not working. fix the cables replaced the ccm/bcm/ whatever everybody has different name for it part no. 1JO 959 799 AJ.
DTC Count 1# P1545:))
I am thinking that new ccm windows and remote stopped working and no respond on throttle. Assuming that need vag-com to reprogram them.??
Now car not cranking just power on dlc light and abs light on.it was cranking when had a short?