Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Passat / CC (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/)
-   -   99 2.6L won't start (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/99-2-6l-wont-start-36080/)

grimreaper_12b 10-02-2013 02:30 PM

99 2.6L won't start

I'm not sure where to begin. Codes have had random misfires and 4,5,6 misfire. The temp gauge sensor now needs to be replaced. looking for a way to test the coil. I would rather not spend the $200 for a new one. Its my daughters car, never a straight answer. "I went to start it and it won't".
Any suggestions on where to begin?

Keithuk 10-02-2013 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum. Attachment 2745

Can you post the error codes found?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

grimreaper_12b 10-03-2013 10:33 AM

P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306, I am replacing the coolant temperature sensor, and then the ignition coil. hopefully this will help.
Thanks

Keithuk 10-03-2013 03:22 PM

VAG Error Code: 16684
EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Air Intake System leaking.
Fuel Supply faulty.
Injector(s) faulty.
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
Ignition coil(s).
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open.
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty.
Low compression.
Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
Check Misfire Recognition.
Check Air Intake System.
Check Fuel Supply.
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
Check Ignition Coil(s).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18).
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40).
Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
This Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

Its the same answer for P0304, P0305, P0306 but difference cylinders.

VAG Error Code: 16688
EOBD II Error Code: P0304

Fault Location:
Cylinder 4 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0304 code means that the cylinder 4 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 4. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
Engine Cylinder 4 is misfiring.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

grimreaper_12b 10-03-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the info. After taking out most of the intake system to replace the coolant temp sensor, I replaced all the plugs & wires. So far she is running good.