Rear bearing torque? Help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Default Rear bearing torque? Help..

Hey all, I recently fitted new bearings to new rear discs at the back of my b3 wagon, I packed them with grease and torqued them up quite tight, then loosened them a turn as I thought was the right way to do it. Initially there was no play, then a day later you could feel a bit of play, so I tightened them a bit more. Went for a long drive today and I noticed a squeaking, so stopped and checked. The disc had been rubbing against the calliper and was blue and smoking, due to lots of play in the bearing and it all overheating.I took the wheel off and the bearing is wrecked, blue and in pieces. How has this happened? The washer that sits under the nut was welded to the bearing, so it had got very hot.

Have I tightened the bearings too much? Maybe I put too much grease in, which melted when it got hot which caused lots of play? It's quite embarrassing, I have fitted loads of bearings and never had a problem, but this one has confused me.

Any help greatly appreciated, I don't want the 2nd bearing to go the same.. Anyone got torque figures or any other advice?

Cheers