2006 vw passat problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Cool 2006 vw passat problems

I have a 2006 passat 3.6 with 69K miles. It has the sport pkg w/ multi-function steering wheel. Thankfully, I got the extended warranty when I bought it.

Recently the airbag light came on and the "Airbag fault" message appeared. Shortly thereafter, the buttons on my multi-function steering wheel stopped working, the back windows no longer roll down, my roof vent opened by itself while I was driving, my passenger side headlight has gone out and then come on again a day later, the alarm does not chirp when I set the alarm, the lights don't flash when dis-arming the alarm and the horn does not work.

I put the car in the shop today. I told them based on everything I've read they should check the CCM; They think it may be the clock spring that controls the airbag that is knocking out the controls in the steering wheel.

I have read so many posts about these problems individually, but not all together and none have been on a 2006 passat. Since, so many people are having one or more of these problems, I will re-post once I find out what is wrong and how much it will cost.

Hopefully, this information will help someone.

As a side note, I have not had any front end collisions, no water damage, etc. and I am no mechanic. I am just a girl that loves her VDub!

Last edited by im1blondechik; 04-20-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM

With a extended warranty you should not inquire andy addtional cost unless somehow they determine that some damage was caused by you and not mechanical failure. sounds like another typical case of a first year model car bug. Hopefully they will fix it no charge. If not screw 'em and ask for the money back that you spent on the extended warranty because they are not honoring it and using loop holes to get out of having to pay for it. Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM

We have figured out the problem. There are 4 modules within the steering wheel and one or more of them is bad. In the 2006 model, the modules cannot be replaced individually (or so I was told) so the entire steering wheel had to be replaced. The clock spring had to be replaced (due to airbag fault) and they repaired wiring in the window modules to fix the back windows.

The warranty company usually will not pay for anything related to the airbag, but they did this time. The guys at Lucas Car Care are AWESOME and fixed all the problems, not to mention having to be in constant contact with the warranty company and we all know what a headache that can be.

Best part is - everything works now!!

Total cost to me:
$100 deductible for warranty

Total cost to the warranty company:
$1400.

Last edited by im1blondechik; 04-20-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: update