Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   Starting & Electical Prob (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/starting-electical-prob-6275/)

AznLostBoii 08-26-2008 06:16 AM

Starting & Electical Prob

i have a 2000 jetta gls and one day all of a sudden i couldnt start my car. then i didnt have any power to my car. miles, time, etc was blank and no lights or anything. so i jump started the car and it start and i had power again. i let it run for an hour or so to let it the battery charge. when i come back like 9 hrs later after work i had the same prob. no power to the car again all light, alarm, keyless, no time or miles all didnt work. jump started the car again and it started. btw i replaced the battery before these problems started. can anyone tell me whats wrong or whats going on?

dubalicious 08-26-2008 06:25 PM

RE: Starting & Electical Prob

perhaps your alternator isnt keeping a charge, or you have some sort of paracitic draw ie trunk light or glove box light staying on etc..

bagel 08-26-2008 07:25 PM

ok I just had something like this happen. My VR6 has some sort of ummmmm relay or something I dunno what it is called, but you could here humming or clicking, so like a good mechanic does I hit it a couple times..lol. No more problems, but I sure would like find out what it is. It's right next to the intake tube, like a circular type deal with wires. Sounds stupid, but no idea what it is I just heard it humming and assumed that's what was drawing current from my battery.

00Jetta_trs 08-27-2008 11:33 PM

i had that problem too.
I have a 2000 gls as well and just a couple of weeks ago my car started acting weird and losing power.

AznLostBoii 08-28-2008 06:28 AM

did anyone find out what the problem is or how to solve it?

bagel 08-31-2008 12:23 AM

welll......I solved mine by tapping it with a hammer..not hard but like a swift kick in the ass...no more problems.

AznLostBoii 08-31-2008 12:33 AM

where did u tap it by?

bagel 08-31-2008 12:58 AM

I just tapped right on the top of it. I really have no idea what it is called, but I'm sure if you googled a pic of the motor you could find what it is.

AznLostBoii 09-05-2008 02:45 AM

ahhhhh i still me help =(

Jrailer 09-05-2008 08:47 AM

sounds like a crap battery

bagel 09-05-2008 11:05 AM

Yea i def need another one, this one is like 3 years old. lol

dubalicious 09-06-2008 12:24 PM

I FOUND THE SOULUTION!!!!!!!
I had the same problems with my 03 jetta. its an easy fix but you gotta dig for it. on the divers side under thebottom of the dash (like where you knees are) theres a little panel you can take out. under there, there is a power distribution block (simalar to the ones on the top of the battery) and those wires can loosen up over time. I had all the same symptoms and it was just one lose wire. I tightned it up and have been runninsmooth ever since. This is kinda confusing I know but go to *********.******.com and I can show you step by step how to find this part and what to check for (because there you can put big pictures in your posts and it makes problem solving way easier.)

Jrailer 09-06-2008 12:54 PM

good job dub
i shold have thought of that i have seen it before too
you would think that the paint they put on those 10mm nuts would keep them tight

bagel 09-06-2008 02:23 PM

I'll change the battery and then if my car still doesn't want to start, or some other stuff happens I'll def check that block out. What color is it and how many wires are in it??

dubalicious 09-06-2008 03:10 PM

bagel Im at work right now so when I get home in like 2 hours ill post pics up of it and how to get to it on ********* but before you spend your money on a new battery try (I know this sounds like a really stupid idea but it works and you won't get hurt. trust me I work in a hospital) take two wrenches put one on each battery terminal and slightly touch them together but only really quickly don't hold them there for long. if you get mad sparks your battery is good.

bagel 09-06-2008 06:47 PM

my battery is 3 years old. It has corrosion and battery acid on it...ya know looks like a regular used battery. I should get a new one anyways and thanx for the advice