Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   New Jetta owner (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/new-jetta-owner-798/)

Tupapison 05-16-2006 03:50 AM

New Jetta owner

I just bought a 2001 jetta, and i would like to know what engine does it have, what mods are out there for it? anything to make it give me more HP? please let me know

http://autorapido.com/product.php?product_id=1010

here's the link to my car

p_mister 05-16-2006 06:01 PM

RE: New Jetta owner

well we would need to see a pic of the engine it self. (or if oyu take a kwick look at the top of the engine it will say like "2.0" "1.8T' and so on)

and as far as the mod's there are several out there i just need to know what engine it is.

tony

Tupapison 05-16-2006 06:08 PM

Its a 2.0

p_mister 05-16-2006 06:24 PM

ok well in that case the first thing you can do which is cheep easy and free is....

open up your air filter box and on the top of the filter box element there is a apx. 6inch long tube there. TAKE IT OFF all it does is restrict your air flow.

tony

Tupapison 05-16-2006 06:49 PM

and what would that do? give more hp, if it does, how many more? what else can i do

p_mister 05-16-2006 07:02 PM

that will give you a bit not a whole lot to see a big diff or beat someone in a race (but its one step closer)

ummmm other things for free... not a whole lot just clear your intake of unwanted stuff.

and for the first things to buy... cold air intake, exaust, and go from there....

there is so much you can do to this car but i would start with the stuff that i gave you first (that is the cheeper easyer stuff to do)

tony

Tupapison 05-16-2006 08:48 PM

ok thanks, but what about money wise, what would be a good mod that money can buy, that would give me a LOT more power?

p_mister 05-16-2006 09:05 PM

turbo!!!!

you will need to put alot of time, money, and no how into that tho.

new internals
the turbo set up
and some other stuff for it

your looking at about $1500 for it all

tony

Jsd 05-16-2006 10:21 PM

$1500 for turbo and all?? I don't think so...lol

Tupapison 05-16-2006 11:19 PM

LOL! i was talking about spending 200 dollars on 1 item and then 200 more on another, not like 2k all at once! the turbo would be wonderful but what comes before that

p_mister 05-16-2006 11:21 PM

exaust is what i would do first.

it is a nice way to get your moneys worth. you can do a cat back (catalitic converter back to the end) or you could do the whole thing (bit more $$$$) which would be headers and all.

tony

Jsd 05-16-2006 11:25 PM

Well you have to keep into consideration the possibility of a turbo. If you go that route, lose all the back pressure, one size DP back...turbo will operate at it's best like that. Perhaps even chuckin the exhaust idea, spend $600 less and get an electric cutout, perfect for turbo apps, while retaining the stock exhaust for "quiet areas" lol....need a plan before you nickel and dime yourself to death... :-)

p_mister 05-16-2006 11:35 PM

yha that would not be a bad plan eather.

tony

Tupapison 05-17-2006 12:54 AM

The car is in process, i mean i dont have it yet, but soon(I HOPE) i will let you know when i have it so i can see what i will do first

p_mister 05-17-2006 01:05 AM

ok good deal. hopfuly you will get it :)

tony

Tupapison 05-17-2006 01:23 AM

Yeah i hope i get it also, but i wont be getting that car because it was sold for 9,000 :'(....Instead i MIGHT be buying my cousin's white Jetta, 2001 also, the bad thing is that it doesnt have a spoiler, and no sunroof :(

Jsd 05-17-2006 01:25 AM

Bah, no spoiler? No worries, one less thing that will leak one day! $$ in your pocket.....and if you're so into the spoiler look, sure you can find aftermarket deals that will look respectful and suit the lines of the car...

Tupapison 05-17-2006 01:35 AM

Yeah i found a spoiler on www.wings-plus.com and its the OE look but its an aftermarket, very cool, i just hope my cousin leaves the car at a very cheap price, i mean the car is a 2001 Jetta 2.0 with 30k kilometers, and she is asking for 8,500 but im sure she can lower the price for me, is that price too expensive or is it ok?

Jsd 05-17-2006 01:51 AM

Basically...i'd do an extensive search on that car, same mileage...see what they go for, dealer cost and private ads. Also, look over the car for any hints of future repairs that will hurt the wallet, same with scratches, dents, rust, overall condition. I understand it's family but you can still negotiate :-) But best bet, see what they go for out in the market first, constantly changes. You never know, might be able to get one cheaper somewhere else or you might be gettin a deal! Personally, I'm not sure what they go for used with that mileage. By the sounds of it, 2001...30k, does sound pretty good but do a quick search :-) FYI: Any mods like stereo etc. additional goodies someone puts into a car does not increase it's value. You buy the car, not the added aftermarket values. Maybe other members have some ideas.

bagel 05-17-2006 11:05 AM

Tupapison...get yourself a Euro Tuner magazine. CHeck out sites like goapr.co, eurosportacc.com, try not to get things off Ebay, I don't trust my car with just anything. More money that you will spend that will make a significant jump would be, yes, a turbo, but cams and internals. I just got a lightweight flywheel and gear pulleys, I have chip, cold intake, and an exhaust and I've spent, maybe, close to $1000. I beef up the motor before I make the car look nice, like I'll get rims later when I can't do anything to the motor without tearing into it. You wanna know good places to get parts, let me know...

Tupapison 05-17-2006 03:59 PM

Yeah i know that whatever mods i do to the car wont increase its value, right now i have a 1995 Volvo 940, and i put some HID lights in it, 10% window tint, stereo, remote starter alarm. And thats close to 1k, and NO ONE would recognize it :(, so thats why im having trouble selling it. I hope my cousin lowers the price to like 5k or so so i can buy it :D, she doesnt need the money, she bought a SLK200 Kompressor ...

p_mister 05-17-2006 06:19 PM

H**L i would like to know where you get your parts and do all that for the price.

please post em' here or PM my please.

thanks,
tony

Tupapison 05-17-2006 08:21 PM

p_mister? what are you talking about

p_mister 05-17-2006 08:42 PM

bagel had put up a post on what he has done to his car and that it is only $1000 or so.

tony

Tupapison 05-17-2006 11:33 PM

OH! if thats right please psot it also because I WILL BE BUYING THAT

bagel 05-18-2006 04:31 PM

Ever heard of Drift? They make drift videos, bikes and cars alike, but mostly it's all drift, guys out of Cali; anyways, got a shop called Drift, Drag, Grip...bike shop next door, Muff Motorsports. My friend and I both have dealers licenses so we get parts at wholesale. Got another friend that owns his own shop, called Motor City Hot Rods & Customs. He gives me all the inside stuff, plus gave me the full cat-back Magnaflow system. The chip was $325, exhaust $0, cold air intake $0, the only thing Im really paying is HID's, Rims, and lowering kit. Been racing and modding cars since I was 10, learned from my Grandfather who is STILL restoring old corvettes, now has 7 of 'em. Guys need any more info, let me know...

p_mister 05-18-2006 06:13 PM

hey...

so could you get me some parts (cheep on your side) and sell them to me for cheeper (worth buying) than the market price????

tony

bagel 05-19-2006 10:07 AM

what you looking for?

p_mister 05-19-2006 06:14 PM

air intake, cams, computer.... (and mass air flow sensor)

tony

bagel 05-20-2006 05:27 PM

ok, well intake you can either make yourself, or buy off ebay for like $10...what kind of cams, and what computer, I got a chip in mine, just have to flash the ECU when you put it in.

p_mister 05-20-2006 08:49 PM

what is your chip doing and desinged to do.

also what about a mass air flow sensor???

and i am not shure on the cams. what do you recamand

tony

mikemjohnson 04-24-2007 09:23 PM

craigslist has anything for any car if you live in a big city

nice jetta though, hope to get one that looks something like that in the future

bigsime 04-24-2007 11:25 PM

Jetta 1.8 T i'd like to know the difference between 2001 models versus 2002's when it comes to turbo or engine configuration what addition gave the 2002 30 more hp

thx

bagel 04-25-2007 02:31 PM

Not sure what you're referring to, they mod up engines year after year. What engine or model are you talking about?

bigsime 04-28-2007 01:40 PM

I don't know what more can I say to precise my words.I'm talking about the regular 1.8T they had in every jetta and golf of these years in north america.