Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2000 Jetta owner- A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Default New 2000 Jetta owner- A few questions

Just bought a 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 5spd with 155k on the clock as a commuter car. Knew it had a few issues when I bought it but nothing seemed major and the mechanic that looked it over seemed to think the same.

For starters, the airbag light is on. My first thought was the clockspring but the horn still works so I'm guessing it'll need to be scanned?

Second, the cruise control will cut out seemingly randomly and won't work again until the car is restarted. Really not sure whats going on with that one. I heard these are notorious for bad brake light switches though (also get interference through the radio with an FM adapter when stepping on the brakes).

Third, there is some sort of noise coming from the engine bay. Sounds like a metallic grinding noise of sorts, like one of the pulleys on the serp. belt had a bad bearing. Took the belt off and everything spun free and smooth (does need a new belt though). The noise is correlated with hard acceleration and/or heavy load. Doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak so I'm down to thinking maybe a vacuum leak?

Finally, I've got a few suspension clunks. The car has it's share too. Seems like mostly from the rear. Maybe a little from the front drivers side too. Not sure what the most likely culprit is there, control arm bushings?

I'm used to working on old Jeeps and even older Fords so this is a brave new world for me. Thanks in advance