Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   Fan Issues, CEL On, P0480 Code - 2005.5 Jetta (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/fan-issues-cel-p0480-code-2005-5-jetta-37183/)

Brian Samec 06-04-2016 09:54 PM

Fan Issues, CEL On, P0480 Code - 2005.5 Jetta

New Member on the forum. I have a 2005.5 MKV Jetta 2.5L. When driving yesterday, my Check Engine Light came on. I ran the codes on the car and it came back with a P0480 error, pointing to something in the fan control system. I am trying to figure out my best course of action on what to replace / fix / test to get this issue resolved.

When I checked under the hood, I see that the large fan is running when the car is warm / hot and running, but the small fan is not. When I turn the A/C On, the large fan runs even faster and you can hear it really moving (sounds like a helicopter), but the A/C works and cools the car fine. When I turn off the A/C, the fan will slow back down or stop based on car temperature. But the small fan does not run at all.

What would be my best course of action? I am thinking I may need to replace the entire fan assembly, but want to be sure before I drop the 150 bucks to purchase it and replace it (the actual replacement doesnt look too hard) and find out that it wasnt the issue. Auto Parts store mentioned changing the relay, but I dont know what exactly to replace on the fuse box that is under the hood, or what I could take out, put back in, check for / etc... as the owner's guide doesnt really give a good list of what's in that fuse box. So I am looking for some help!

Also, the car isnt overheating, I drove it around today for a while and let it idle for a while and the large fan comes on and the temp does not go above 190 where it usually is...think its safe to drive to work and back while I wait for the parts to come in?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Keithuk 06-05-2016 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum. Attachment 2367

VAG Error Code: 16864/001152/6141/4527
EOBD II Error Code: P0480

Fault Location:
Coolant Fan Control Circuit 1 - Electrical Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine overheating.

Fuse(s)
Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty.
Coolant Fan 2 (V177) restricted/jammed.
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan Control Module (J293) faulty.
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan (V7) faulty.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check Coolant Fan Control Module (J293).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Perform Output Test.
Check Coolant Fan 2 (V177) for Restriction/Blockade.
Check for Foreign Objects and Accidental Damage as well as Restrictions.
Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan Control Module (J293).
Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Coolant Fan 2 (V177).

Special Notes:
Remove the Coolant Fan 2 (V177) Fuse(s) for Safety Reasons before checking it.

When is the code detected?:
The P0480 code is detected when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.

Description:
The electric cooling fan is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components:

- The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).
- The Intake Air Temperature Sensor.
- The A/C selector switch.
- The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor.
- The Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68).

The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:

- The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
- The A/C clutch requested.
- The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH.

The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met:

- The engine coolant temperature is 151°C (304°F) or more.
- The A/C refrigerant pressure is high.

The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan run-on conditions described in the electric cooling fan general description portion of the service manual.