Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Ratte or Clipping sound around 2500 RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Default Metal Rattle or Clipping sound around 2500 RPMs

Hi. Glad to be a part of the V-dub community. I loved my 95 Jetta and when the clutch went out at 190k miles I decided I wanted a newer one. I have just bought a 2002 Jetta (2.0L 4-cylinder manual transmission). It is not the turbo, nor the turbo diesel. Just the gold ol' 2.0 liter 4-cylinder like my old one.

So here's my question...

I have a metal-sounding rattle that seems to come from the center of the engine area, possibly from the lower part of the engine near the ground, but it is definitely coming from the engine area, not from under the car or under the seats as some others have mentioned. It happens at around 2500 RPMs. It always goes away at about 3-3.5k RPMs. It is not an extremely "heavy" sound but it does sound like metal on metal--not plastic. My old Jetta did something very similar. What could this be? I've heard it might be the catalytic converter or exhaust manifold.

Also, the sound still seems to be there when I am in neutral and not moving. That is, when I rev it up to around 2500 RPMs.

I would really like to get it figured out because this is a very clean car--in near mint condition--and the rattle is bothering me. I want to make sure it is not something that is a serious problem or will cause problems down the road.

Thanks for your expertise. V-dubs rock!

Devin

Last edited by devhen; 07-09-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Misspelling in title
Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Well I took the car to a local shop that specializes in V-dubs and Audi's. I ran the car at 2500rpms in neutral and had the guy watch the engine and listen. The good news is that it isn't coming from inside the engine. He said it appears to be a part near the firewall at the bottom of the engine. He says the bolts can get loose and cause a plate to rattle. I am taking it in Monday morning to have the timing belt replaced and the rattle looked at. If anyone has any other thoughts, please, don't be shy.

Also, my reverse lights don't work. It isn't the bulbs or the fuse. Would it be the sensor in the gear shift?

Also, the front cigarette lighter does not work. The one in the trunk does. I suspect I will find that this is not a problem with the fuse either. Has anyone else had the cigarette lighter go out and what did you have to do to fix it?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some thoughts on this stuff.

Cheers,
Devin