Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   AC compressor clutch engaged - no cold air (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/ac-compressor-clutch-engaged-no-cold-air-37185/)

Sergei Chaparin 06-09-2016 07:41 AM

AC compressor clutch engaged - no cold air

This is regarding a 2002 Jetta VR6 GLS Wagon with 109K. If I remember right, the AC worked last year when I bought the car. As it got warmer this year, I noticed no cold air. Checked the clutch and it wouldn't kick in. Added coolant to the high limit of allowable range, and the clutch started kicking in, but there is still no cool air. Instead, there is a bit of a whining sound coming from (what I am assuming) the AC system.

I bought the vehicle a person who had a custom radio installed. I since replaced the head unit with a simpler one from Crutchfield, because the radio didn't work. We had a few other electrical issues, like the remote locks not working. We went to a VW dealer and they recorded the keys, and they started working.

It may be worth double-checking, but it appears that the fuses are all OK.

Does anyone have a clue where I should begin my diagnostics?

Thank you!

Keithuk 06-10-2016 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum. Attachment 2366

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Sergei Chaparin 06-10-2016 09:23 AM

Thank you so much! Is there an affordable diagnostic cable and software combo? I have two VWs in the family, so it might be useful to buy.

Keithuk 06-11-2016 06:44 AM

There are plenty of cheap scanners on the market but they show wrong results. A genuine VCDS is the only one for a VAG vehicle. Not the cheap Chinese cloned cables on fleabay.

Sergei Chaparin 06-12-2016 02:13 PM

So, is Ross-Tech software free? Either way, it looks like the hex-can vag com USB cables are quite expensive. I did go to AutoZone, and they had a generic scanner that only picked up codes P0300, P0262, P0301 -- misfires that I need to deal with separately. I will try to double-check the fuses again and report on that.

Keithuk 06-13-2016 05:58 AM

Yes the Ross-Tech software is free. VCDS Release 15.7.4

P0300, P0262, P0301

VAG Error Code: 16684/000768
EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected/Upper Limit Exceeded/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Air Intake System leaking.
Fuel Supply faulty.
Injector(s) faulty.
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
Ignition coil(s) faulty.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open.
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Low compression.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Misfire Recognition.
Check Air Intake System.
Check Fuel Supply.
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
Check Ignition Coil(s).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18).
Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position Sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16646
EOBD II Error Code: P0262

Fault Location:
Injector 1 (N30) - Circuit High/Short Circuit o Positive

Possible Cause:
Engine Misfire.
Engine Run Rough.
Low MPG.

Wiring/Connector(s) short to positive.
Injector 1 (N30).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Signal current > 14.70 A.

When is the code detected?:
Code P0262 is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a high voltage in the Fuel Injector 2 Circuit. During normal conditions the Engine Control Module (ECM) turns the Fuel Injectors ON and OFF in the Fuel Injection System.

VAG Error Code: 16685/000769
EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position Sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

Sergei Chaparin 06-13-2016 07:00 AM

Thank you so much for the code descriptions! I am now confirming that all the AC fuses are fine, and the clutch no longer grabs. The AC compressor isn't running. I wonder if my problems are all electrical. I would hate to replace the injectors first, because they are $150 a pop. I suppose I could always start with the engine control module, but it shouldn't affect the AC, right?