Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   96 Jetta Air bag (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/96-jetta-air-bag-7149/)

dabatman99 01-06-2009 08:35 PM

96 Jetta Air bag

Hey guys, I changed the ignition switch in my GL. It's all back together, but the air bag light stays on all the time. I have a spare car and took all the steering and air bag out of that and swapped it all. Any ideas on what's going on?

racerx002 01-07-2009 08:22 AM

RE: 96 Jetta Air bag

If you have a scan tool just clear the airbag code off and see what happens. If you don't have one just reset the ecu by unhooking your battery cables and hold them together for about a minute. Let it idle for a while then take it for a spin. It will run like crap for a couple of minutes until the ecu programs it's settings. Or just buy a scan tool for $60.

dabatman99 01-07-2009 08:58 AM

I did disconnect the negative wire from the battery for about 15 minutes... But I didnt' try to tie the positive and negative together...I'll try that too. I do have an ELM 327 scanner that I read my codes with, but I didn't see anything in the software about resetting airbags. I did clear an engine code that i've been having trouble with, but the airbag light still is on. Do you know where I can get good free software for the ELM327 or even if I have to pay for it, it would still be worth it. What about this VAG? Does that have all the features? Thanks

racerx002 01-07-2009 12:48 PM

Yeah if you get the VGA it will take care of it unless there is something not hooked up right in the steering colomn.

dabatman99 01-08-2009 06:24 AM

You know, I didnt' unhook the wire under the steering column first, and I didnt' unhook the negative like I should have. I wonder if that is why I got the light on. I ordered a VAG (Vag-Com USB Interface KKL 409.1 OBD2 OBD AUDI VW SEAT...this is how it was listed on ebay). I looked at the software, I think it might work...what do u think?

racerx002 01-08-2009 05:14 PM

I'm sorry, but you've been had just like I was. That comes with a disk that takes you to a website that you can purchase the software for $500. But yes you should have unhooked the battery first.

dabatman99 01-08-2009 07:04 PM

Uh oh...so this won't work? Do you have any suggestion for a VAG that will work? What does VAG mean anyways???

racerx002 01-08-2009 07:10 PM

Volkswagen Auto Group. You can get one on the internet somewhere I'm sure. I got mine at Harbor Frieght Tools for $100. It's just like a regular hand held scanner. I don't know if they have a website but it would be worth checking out because that's the cheapest you'll find anywhere.

dabatman99 01-28-2009 10:11 AM

BTW, that cheap VAG that I bought off ebay worked great! I downloaded the Ross Tech software (freeware) and it took 1/2 hr to install (mostly my fault, I never read instructions very clearly). The hardest part was making sure I was using the right com port. The software allowed me to clear the air bag code with no problem. This cable only cost 15.00

ccolvin 02-23-2009 12:10 PM

AirBag reset

Hey dabatman99 which software did you download fron Ross Tech to resrt your airbag light. I order the cable that you suggested now I need the software.