Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Jetta/Bora (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/)
-   -   2014 Jetta Camshaft Position Sensor (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-jetta-bora-19/2014-jetta-camshaft-position-sensor-37475/)

jfdalefan 11-12-2017 03:41 PM

2014 Jetta Camshaft Position Sensor

1 Attachment(s)
Help Please!

I am by no means a mechanic...

I have a 2014 Jetta (1.8 turbo CPK). This engine replaced the 2.0 for that year. It is giving code for camshaft position sensor. When I look up videos online I only find older models. I have a camshaft adjuster magnet where the videos show the cps to be. Does the magnet replace the cps on this engine? Or is there still a camshaft position sensor somewhere else on this? Any guidance would be great!!

Keithuk 11-13-2017 07:16 AM

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Don't think that making an intro will fix this comment as you've already ask the question.

What error codes are you getting?

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

jfdalefan 11-20-2017 04:55 PM

Sorry I didn't check back in sooner, wife spent a couple of days in the hospital....

I wasn't really looking for a "free fix", I was basically just trying to find out if the car still has a camshaft position sensor or just the camshaft adjuster magnet as the magnet is in the location that the camshaft position sensor was on previous models. The car is acting just like my other Jetta did a few years back (occasional bucking/surging) and the problem back then was the cps.

The codes are P0011 camshaft position timing over advanced and also now has P2279 Intake air system leak (this code just showed recently).

I made it to the dealer today and they said that it has a camshaft impulse sensor which I assume is what replaced the camshaft position sensor. I figured I would try to do a little research before I drop the $80 for this sensor.

Thanks,
John
2014 Jetta 1.8 Turbo (my second Jetta)

Keithuk 11-21-2017 05:59 AM

VAG Error Code: 16395/000017
EOBD II Error Code: P0011

Fault Location:
Camshaft A (Intake) Left/Front, Bank 1 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Power Loss.

Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty.
Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.

Possible Solutions:
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17).
Check Mechanical Timing.
Difference between target and actual > 8° CRK and adjustment angle < 2.5° CRK.

Special Notes:
When found in Engine: 4.0l W8.
Check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2010059 Rest of World (RoW).
Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster).
When found in 2008 and newer VW 2.0T engine with a timing chain (example; CCTA and CBFA), please see:
TT 01-15-08 for information about the intake camshaft, adjuster bridge and spool valve.

VAG Error Code: 18711/5646/7338/008825
EOBD II Error Code: P2279

Fault Location:
Leak in Air Intake System - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Vacuum Leak.
Intake Manifold Runner Position out of Specification.
Faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System or Heating Element (N79).

Possible Solutions:
Check Intake System for Leaks.
Check Intake Manifold Runner.
Check Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System and or Heating Element if applicable.

Special Notes:
When found in the North American Region (NAR) 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve.
If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software