Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 1.8t Jetta Cam Timing Question /problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Default 2001 1.8t Jetta Cam Timing Question /problem

Hi, So i replaced the timing belt at 79K miles on my 2001 1.8T in July. All was well until last week when on of the motor mount bolts broke which caused the new timing belt to get shredded and jammed, although it did not completely break off, behind the the idler.

I have since read that the motor mount bolts as well as the bolts for the bracket etc are all "stretch bolts" and should never be reused, so i am assuming that has something to do with why mine motor mount broke.
I was driving very slow when the motor mount broke and i did not hear anything so i am hoping that none of the valves got bent, but here is what is happening.....

The timing belt got damaged and was jammed behind the idler so I did not bother to mark it, I just cut it off. Then I turned the crank with the belt off to line up the timing mark on the flywheel, then put new belt on and turned crank to line up the cam mark. I had the number 1 spark plug out and a long screwdriver in cylinder so i could see when it was up and down. I could see that the screwdriver was moving but then I suddenly got to a spot where the crank did not want to move anymore. I did not force it, and i went ahead and removed all the spark plugs, but it still did not want to move past a certain point. I then tried turning it counter clockwise and it turned about 3/4 of a turn and the same thing happened, it got to a spot where it did not want to turn any further. I again did not force it, so that is where i am at now, crank will turn about 3/4 of a turn in either direction then hits a spot and can't turn further.

I know this is a classic symptom of bent valves, but looking back I think that I should have put the new belt on and turned the crank till the cam lined up, then took belt off and turned crank to line up flywheel. is there a chance that my cam is just out of time now and I'm hitting it? If so, how can i turn the cam without turning the crank? Also, how can i determine if the valves are bent? I can't do a compression test cause i can't start it. Do i have to pull the head off and look? Can i bend the valves by turning the engine by hand?
Also, if there is damage, what will i need to do?? have head resurfaced at machine shop right? would it be worth it to do on this car? car runs great aside from this, and only has 80K miles. Thanks to anyone who can help or offer some advise....

Old 10-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Check for Engine Damage:
CAUTION: This engine has been identified as an INTERFERENCE engine in which the possibility of valve to piston damage in the event of a timing belt failure is MOST LIKELY to occur. A compression check of all cylinders should be performed before removing the cylinder head(s).