Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Jetta GLX will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Default 1997 Jetta GLX will not start

So I am new to this forum and I hope that you can all help me out. I have a 1997 Jetta GLX and love this car to death. However it is really frustrating me right now. Over the past few weeks it has been getting harder and harder to start. I have really had to jam the key in the ignition and jiggle it around for it to start, but it would always start. Today it decided to not start at all.
What happens is that I can turn the key with the clutch depressed and all that happens is that all of the lights on the dash come on as normal and the radio comes on, but the car will not start. If I push a little harder I will hear a clicking noise but the car still will not start. Before if I jiggled the key enough the car would start, but today nothing.
What do you guys think is the problem? My best guess is that this is an ignition switch problem? Does that make sense. I don't think that it is a different problem because the car did start.

Any ideas or does this really seem like an ignition switch problem? My plan is to replace the ignition switch does that make sense.

Jon