Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Jetta hard start, stuttering when cold, possible constant flooding

Old 12-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Default 1988 Jetta hard start, stuttering when cold, possible constant flooding

I've been having issues for quite some time now with my 5 speed, gas engine, Jetta Slalom. It started out with just hard starts (hot or cold), and stuttering during acceleration for first 10-15 minutes of driving, and stalling at low speed/stopped at intersection/parking, eventually wouldn't start at all. Recently, my oil pressure light has starts coming on if my rpms are lower than 2800 or so, and finally, coolant light started flashing, though I can't find anything wrong with cooling system. Checked the oil, and the level was way too high, though I'd just done an oil change a couple weeks before, and I emptied 3 litres of oil to get the level to normal, and saw that it was heavily diluted with gas (I'd been getting terrible gas mileage, too...about 3 km/L). Pulled the fuel rail, and cranked the engine. Injectors were spraying way too much fuel, spraying same amount with no throttle as with full throttle. Good spray pattern, though. Checked plugs, they were soaked with fuel and giving no spark, so "recharged" them by heating them with a propane torch, and got them sparking again. Unplugged the mass airflow sensor, full throttle switch, coolant temperature sensor, and electronic control unit, then plugged them back in again. That worked to reduce the injector spray to something that looked more normal. Reinstalled injectors, changed oil and filter, changed air filter as well, and that got it running again but was still hard to start, and still got stuttering during acceleration for first 10 minutes or so of driving. Oil pressure light started coming on again, and now car will not start at all again. Oil level has gone up again, but not as severely as before, and it is from fuel leaking into the oil. Have tried unplugging sensors and computer again, but no joy. Looks like I am still having the same problem, but not as bad as before.

Anyone deal with this sort of problem and get it figured out?