Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen GTi / TDi (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-gti-tdi-26/)
-   -   any ideas? (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-gti-tdi-26/any-ideas-11967/)

gtijosh 05-24-2009 02:29 AM

any ideas?

okay i have a 2001 gti 1.8t i recently have purchase. i have two questions. one the turbo seems to have a mind of its own. sometimes when i give it gas. it gets up and goes. then others it feels as if the turbo is going face down. or maybe going in and out? idk. and my other question is whenever i do accelerate hard through first and second, at the end of second gear the brake light on my dash starts flashing and beeps. but only for a second. does anybody have any ideas on how i may be able to do something in order to prevent both things from happening? any help or useful tips on the car in general would be greatt. im new to the volkswagen world. i appreciate it. thanks.
josh.

racerx002 05-25-2009 05:42 PM

Explain what's happening with turbo a little more. As far as the brakes go, first check on the driver's side brake pads and see if they are worn down (that will trigger the wear sensor). If that isn't it then look for the wear sensor harness and see if it is loose.

gtijosh 05-29-2009 07:43 PM

thank you. as far as the turbo goes. the guy who owned the car before me wasnt necessarily into making sure the job is done right. he put a front mount on the car. but used electrical tape and masking tape to hold the pipes together. which worries me. also he put a cold air intake but hit a bump lost the front bumper as well as the cone for the intake. and thought it would be okay to drive the car without a filter. just things to make me wonder if the car is gonna need some serious help. but regardless. when i accelerate sometimes the car will like studder. like accelerate fast, then in the middle of acceleration will stop and go again. i thought maybe it was a leak but i've checked for any possible places. im at a loss.

racerx002 05-30-2009 11:08 AM

Wow, electrical tape. You need to get the proper hose and pipe connections and definitely get an air filter. I would say you do have a leak or probably multiple leaks.

gtijosh 05-31-2009 06:41 PM

yeah that was the first thing i did when i got home. the dude was not very smart with some of the wiring he did nor connections. i already replaced the tape with couplers though. and bought an air filter. but i cant see anything else that looks wrong though. so im not to sure whats goin on with that. i'll have to keep looking.

racerx002 05-31-2009 08:33 PM

I would now look into testing the fuel pressure. You can get an inline gauge that connects to your fuel line. That is cheaper than a pressure tester. Go ahead and replace the fuel filter first if it hasn't been done since you've had it.

flpaul 06-14-2009 12:24 PM

my girls has no power either on a 1.9 tdi its like a 5hp car and cant figure out whats wrong with it