Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Golf (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-golf-22/)
-   -   Left hand tailight problem (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-golf-22/left-hand-tailight-problem-36100/)

Skipjack 10-18-2013 02:33 PM

Left hand tailight problem

My 07 Golf has developed what I believe is an earth problem, a bulb symbol lit up in the warning lights in the clocks when I investigated there was a bulb not lit in the L/H/ tailight when I removed the unit the outer of the two bulbs was not working, when this was replaced with a new bulb it still did not light up I tried several bulbs none of which worked .
In desperation I switched everything off and looked in the handbook to see if it could be a fuse and where abouts they were found no fuses were blown so I switched the lights back on and found that the outer of the two bulbs was faintly lit and the warning sign was now off.
However when I removed and replaced the same bulb the light then stayed off until I switched off the lights and then switched them back on again when again it was still only faintly lit I now believe this is an earthing problem but could anyone tell me where this tail unit is earthed.
Jack

Keithuk 10-18-2013 07:06 PM

Are you sure your replaced the correct bulb types and checked the correct fuse types and connections?

Skipjack 10-19-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 61060)
Are you sure your replaced the correct bulb types and checked the correct fuse types and connections?

Yes but I will check agai to be on the safe side.
I would like to know where the wiring is earthed to be able to see if there is a problem there with a possible corrosion issue.
My wife has just told me that the light swich flashed once when she turned the lights on maybe the fault could be in there.

Keithuk 10-19-2013 07:07 PM

They are normally earthed near the light unit just follow the brown wire.

Skipjack 10-21-2013 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 61068)
They are normally earthed near the light unit just follow the brown wire.

Thanks for the info I will take a look .Jack

JettaJenn 10-23-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Skipjack (Post 61075)
Thanks for the info I will take a look .Jack

What was the result?

Skipjack 10-24-2013 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JettaJenn (Post 61083)
What was the result?

Never had time to take a look yet

Skipjack 10-30-2013 12:35 PM

Well I finally got the tail light working not sure what I did but at least its working with both bulbs illuminating.
With the switch on both bulbs were lit although the outer bulb was very dim I removed both bulbs and checked the wattage both bulbs were 21w.
I replaced both bulbs in original positions the outer bulb did not light up but the inner bulb did, I switched the lights off then switched back on the outer did light up but only just as if a bad earth.
I replaced the outer bulb with a new(21w) one it did not light up so switched the lights off and then back on both bulbs lit up correctly:confused:.
I still cant fathom out whats going on maybe it needs an exorcism performing on it:eek:

Scarl3tt3 11-12-2013 10:04 AM

Huh. I actually am having the same issue right now with my 96 Cabrio, except for me, a few of the small bulbs on the left-hand side of the brake light strip aren't working as well. Interesting.